Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How does it work with Slant/Fin interconnecting the returns on the caravan?

baj702
baj702 Member Posts: 44
I've read about piping multiple boilers together, specifically about not interconnecting the returns. But on the Slant/Fin caravan they do interconnect the returns. How does this work?

Comments

• Keith M
    Keith M Member Posts: 78
    Slant/Fin publishes a Caravan Application Guide for Slant/Fin steam modular boilers. Please note this is applicable for those specific Caravan boilers consisting of the specific listed modules. please forward to me either your email address or regular mailing address and I will send to you the application manual.
    Please note we have tested our design with our specific modules and the design should be applied to our modules and not other brands unless the other manufacturer give their approval.
    Keith Muhlmeister
    Slant/Fin Corporation
    kmuhlmeister@slantfin.com
  • For what it's worth: I have had nightmares with these boilers and steam, both single and modular. I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole, and Slant Fin has been absolutely no help. Don't go near it.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    Can't speak to Slant Fin

but I have worked on other modular steam set-ups. The one I worked on had the returns connected together as soon as 1 boiler made steam it pushed return water into the idle boilers also Idle boilers act as a condenser for steam and will fill with condensate.

as a general rule steam boilers are not supposed to be connected together below the water line without a check valve or a Hartford loop.

Some modular set ups are multiple modules but are considered 1 boiler as far as codes are concerned so they skip the checks and Hartford loops.

They can be problematic
  • Thank you Keith for chiming in. We always think of that as the sign of the responsible manufacturer to have a presence here.
    I think one of the ladies here has installed a twin boiler setup with good results, but I don’t know how she staged them.
    This might be a good use for a Gifford loop on the boiler return.That would prevent any extreme movement of the waterline.—NBC
  • Keith M
    Keith M Member Posts: 78
    One of our technical representatives was closely involved in developing our steam modular boiler application guide. I do know IF someone follows the application guide without making changes...it works and it works well. Sometimes people do not follow the instructions and then have issues.
    Larry of our technical services is excellent with steam modular boilers.
    Keith Muhlmeister
    Slant/Fin Corporation
  • Keith M said:

One of our technical representatives was closely involved in developing our steam modular boiler application guide. I do know IF someone follows the application guide without making changes...it works and it works well. Sometimes people do not follow the instructions and then have issues.
    Larry of our technical services is excellent with steam modular boilers.
    Keith Muhlmeister
    Slant/Fin Corporation

Well. I followed the instructions. And then I asked the Slant Fin Rep to come out. He looked for a long time, scratched his you-know-what, and then left. Said he couldn't understand it. Must be the water needed treatment or scrubbing. Which we did. For weeks. Until you could let your baby drink the boiler water. No difference.

Sections too narrow. Single tapping. Disaster for steam. Run away from Galaxy for steam.

Just like our Slant Fin Rep did.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com