Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil McLean question- coil plate

Hello.
I have a 30 year old Weil McLean steam boiler.
Been the homeowner for 3 years. Decided to go with a new plumber who was recommended for my annual service /tuneup.
He opened the top and showed me that the coil plate was corroded at the sides. Obviously the original and would explain the white smoke coming out when i turned the boiler on after a few days of inactivity. He said something about a leak and water dripping down into the burner - setting off the smoke . Also recommended a new burner and bracket (there was some prior rig job going on).
My question is how vital it this coil plate ?
What can I expect on average for the part and labor?

Any input is appreciated .

Eric

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    We don't discuss pricing here as it always become's a hot topic (and it's not allowed). The price for labor will depend on whether the bolts break and he has to drill and tap them. A new burner I'm curious about. Wondering which burner you have.
  • gasdoc75
    gasdoc75 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for responding . Is the coil plate an important part ? Would you recommend to change it ?
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,433
    edited November 2017
    If it’s leaking or shows signs of corrosion then yes of course. Where on Long Island are you located by the way?
  • gasdoc75
    I am in great nexk
  • Danny Scully
    I’m heading to great neck now :lol: give my office a call, 517-887-1122. My name is Danny Scully and I operate Scully’s Plumbing with my brother and father.
  • gasdoc75
    Called scullys plumbing . Left message .
  • Danny Scully
    Sorry @gasdoc75, or office manager is on vacation. I did get the message and will return your call ASAP. Thanks in advance!