Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The best boiler?

VWJok
VWJok Member Posts: 1
Hey all,

Removing our 1932 Coal steam boiler converted to oil in the 1960s. We are having the underground oil tank abandoned and utilizing the NG already in the house to convert to Gas Steam boiler. Now the question is, if money was no issue what is the best gas steam boiler to buy (Minus the factor of a correct install)? Thanks!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    To be perfectly honest, they are all just about the same. I would stay away from a boiler that has side tappings for the risers. They seem to be a lot more finicky. Probably the best one to install is one from a quality contractor who stands behind his work, that the installer knows well and has good parts availability. So many of the boilers are made by the same one or two manufacturers and rebranded that your focus has to be on what gives one a competitive advantage over the other, that being the installation and the contractor.
    hmljNew England SteamWorks
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    I am partial to Peerless but as @Fred mentioned a quality installer, correct boiler sizing, piping to at least the boiler mfg. requirements is most important. A quality job means skimming the boiler upon completion and installing/checking all air vents

Lately with some of the jobs posted here and their problems

the most important requirement is that your installer can (and is willing to) read the boiler manual. They will all tell you they know what they are doing.....getting it done is a problem.

Read the boiler manual yourself and be prepared to check what they are doing.

I am making this suggestion even though I hate working with someone looking over my shoulder.

Give them a reading test before you let them in the door.
    kcopp
  • Peerless 63 or Weil McLain EG. Both very nice, but controls on opposite sides, so I choose dependent on that.

But.

If you want the Cadillac of steam boilers: Burnham MegaSteam. No other steam boiler in the same class.

But oil only. Well worth it, it my opinion.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com