Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

20 gallon buffer tank

Options
Hi everyone,

My company has recently come out with a lightweight, non-corrosive, 4 port buffer tank in sizes of 40, 55, 80, and 119 gallons and is looking into developing a 20 gallon buffer tank. We have identified a need for such a tank in markets that use wall hung boilers and may be short of space. Because of the limited surface area of a 20 gallon tank, and the manufacturing limitations that result from the materials of construction, we are in restricted in how we configure side-ports. We can, however, incorporate a top port and, if necessary, a bottom port that branches off a tee that would also house a boiler drain. I’m hoping to get some insight into piping configurations that may be suitable for this sort of application. Any thoughts, idea, experiences that you want to share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Best,
Sean T.

Comments

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    What company are you with there are buffer tanks on the market 10 gallon & 20 gallon up to 119 gallon all with four 1 1/2” side trappings.
  • seantoolan
    seantoolan Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Bob,
    The difference is that we are making composite buffer tanks. Half the weight of a steel tank, won't corrode, high r-value, rated to 180 degrees F.

Sean
  • seantoolan
    seantoolan Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Our 4 port buffer tanks come with 1 1/4" tappings on the 40 and 55 gallon tanks, 2" tappings on the 80 and 120 gallon tanks and all come with a 3/4" thermal well.
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Options
    Make it shorter and fatter.
    Every tank I've seen is piped like a hydraulic separator
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    How about making it rectangular (shaped like a mod-con boiler) so it could be wall hung?
    20 gal = 166lbs, easily supported by a concrete foundation wall in the basement.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Can you please email me literature, spect sheet and installation instructions on the tanks you now have.
    eckrobert@rcn.com
    eck@fwwebb.com

On your buffer tanks is there any way that a coil could be put into the tank? If I used a buffer tank and if it had a coil in it the contractor could use that coil to preheat the domestic water befor going into the Combi boiler. Take very cold winter incoming water temp from 35-40 degrees up to say 50-60 degrees to help get more GPM out of the Combi Boiler.

Just a thought.