Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Suntouch Radiant Floor Heating

Options
Hey Guys,

First post here....My wife and I bought a house 2.5 years ago. The master bathroom was recently updated before we moved in. Previous owners installed an electric heated floor. Floor worked great. Heated up nice and toasty. Recently, our floor will now only get slightly warm. Pretty much warm enough not to be crazy cold. It use to get noticeably warmer. I turned the thermostat all the way up and no change in temp. What could it be? There are no "cold spots" on the floor indicating a bad heating mat. I've tried turning it off/on with no luck. The thermostat I have is a SunTouch Dial. What could be the possibilities?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Options
    There should be a sensor that is set under the tile an drunk to the thermostat. It may have gone bad I would try to see if you can find the wire and test it
  • bluescab05
    bluescab05 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    If it's bad I'm assuming I would have to rip up the floor to replace it?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    It was built to a certain wattage, an amp meter could indicate if it is working to full output. What type of control? It could have a modulating control that needs to be adjusted, or is not functioning properly.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • bluescab05
    bluescab05 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Its the SunTouch Dial control
  • NeverDone
    NeverDone Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I installed 2 of these Watts SunTouch dial thermostats ~5 years ago have occasionally experienced the same issue where it will not heat up to the setpoint.

I've found that resetting them by disconnecting the power will bring them back to normal operation. I've had to do this a couple of times- simply turn off the breaker for the circuit that feeds the thermostat for roughly 10-seconds then turn it back on and the thermostat should now heat to the proper temperature.

If you want a better thermostat, I'd recommend Honeywell TH115-AF-120S/U.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    Options
    I forget what name brand we installed in my son's bathroom a year ago, but we installed a spare sensor under the tile in case the first one failed. Most of the systems we looked at recommended doing that. Does that mean the under floor sensors are a weak link. There is test procedure for testing the grid and also the sensor. Find the brand and see what the install instructions have for a test.