Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What kind of water quality do you see out there?

Options
MilanD
MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
edited October 2017 in Strictly Steam
Hello wallees,

I am curious if any of y'all measured your tds and chlorides in your boilers and what kind of numbers do you see and consider acceptable? With my latest fill of 21 gallons distilled + 15 galls tap (170 ppm tds and ~65 ppm chlorides), after Wanding and rinsing the boiler, my tds is still 170 (per electronic tester), and chlorides are at 37 (per chemical titration kit test). For all who folowed my LGB saga, prior to this regiment our tds was over 300 and chlorides were at about 70.

What kind of numbers do you all see out there?

Comments

• RomanGK_26986764589
    RomanGK_26986764589 Member Posts: 229
    Options
    My tap water TDS is 360! But I fill my boiler up with RO water that has a PH of 7 and about 15 ppm TDS.
    MilanD
  • MilanD
    Options

My tap water TDS is 360! But I fill my boiler up with RO water that has a PH of 7 and about 15 ppm TDS.

Thanks! Is the sample from the boiler maintaining 15 ppm and do you do anything to raise pH to 8+?
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    Options
    The sample is from RO faucet. I have steam master tablets for PH but I don't use them. They don't go well with the boiler. I tried them last year. I would put one tablet into a perfectly wand cleaned boiler and the water would turn into a punch color and would start surging about a week later to the point where I have to drain and refill again. :|
    MilanD
  • MilanD
    Options
    That's strange for steamaster. Which brand of boiler is this? We have Weil McLain LGB.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    @RomanGK_26986764589 , Is it possible that the Steamaster tablets react differently, in some way, to the RO water you use in your boiler?
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    Options
    @MilanD I have Weil McLain EG 40.
    @Fred I had the that problem with Steamaster when I used city tap water. I never tried Steamaster with RO water. Maybe I'll give it a shot.