Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Forced Air blows cold air

buglet93
buglet93 Member Posts: 1
I have a forced air furnace that is 12 years old. The furnace is in a cellar basement with ductwork running through uninsulated crawl space. The vents in the bathroom and the living room blow cold air, these vents would be closest to the furnace. All the rest that are further away from the furnace blow warm air. Why is that? Is it because they are close to the furnace or would it be some other problem. It has always been this way since we installed the furnace.

Comments

• Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    There should be dampers on the take offs down there. check and see if they are open.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Are they even connected to the main trunk duct. Just cool air circulation or does it has force behind it? Put a piece of paper over the registers and see what happens. With the fan going the paper should fly away.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I don't want to sound stupid here but are you sure they are not return air registers? Are there any other registers in the living room? Are you sure the registers in question are blowing air out and not sucking it in?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited October 2017
    Are you sure those registers are blowing out, and not sucking in?

If the velocity is too high in the ductwork closest to the furnace, I've heard rumor it can actually cause supply registers to pull air in.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment