Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do i need a tiger loop?

Options
I recently had a service and the tech recommended a tiger loop to prevent a seal leak on my burner.

When I bought the house last year, the oil line was moved out of the foundation slab per new regulations. The tank is in the basement and is original to the house from 1952, with the burner about 15 ft away on the other side of the basement. The new oil line now runs up the wall and across the basement ceiling, so up vertically 6 ft - horizontally 13 ft - 90° turn for another 4 ft horizontally - back down to the burner 7ft.

The tech recommended a tiger loop to prevent a seal on the burner from potentially leaking and blowing in the future. We had zero noticeable issues for last winter

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Are you sure he didn't mean an Oil Safety Valve (OSV). That would only be needed if the inlet static pressure exceeded 3 psi. He mentions a seal leak, is that because there is high vacuum on the system? There shouldn't be if properly bled. What goes up, comes down, like a ferris wheel or a siphon.
    He probably wants to put on a Tiger Loop to help him bleed the system, or avoid nuisance lockouts. But proper piping, no vacuum leaks, and a power bleed and you don't need a Tiger Loop.
    ~~probably 80% of the next respondents will disagree~~

There was an error rendering this rich post.

cbrown1012
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Tiger loop or not IMHO overhead one pipe oil lines are a problem. If it was mine I would skip the Tiger loop and make it a two pipe system. Or go back to 1 pipe gravity feed
    cbrown1012