Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clogged/Slow blowdown

Options
Finally turned heat on for the season. Single pipe steam w/ Burnham IN5.

The first cycle really kicked up a lot of dirt or sediment and now my sight glass water looks like mud. In attempting to blow down and refill the boiler, my blowdown is a slow trickle. I'm guessing whatever is in the boiler is gunked up in the valve as well.

I could take the valve off entirely and clean from the inside I guess, but that's going to drain my boiler in a hurry with no stopping ability, and so I wanted to see if there's a better way to get through the clog. Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Open the valve and use a thin piece of wire to shove into it to break up the crud. Have a big bucket ready and be prepared that it might not completely shut off if some gunk gets stuck on the seat.

Plenty of flushing should get out all the crud and make sure the valve is clean to seal back up.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Johnson_Rod
    Johnson_Rod Member Posts: 31
    Options
    That worked @KC_Jones , though i have to wire it everytime i close and open the valve. How many times should i have to flush this boiler to get it clean? I'm up to my 3rd fill and water is still pretty filthy.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    It all depends on how much mud you have, you can let the boiler build up a few pounds of steam and then try blowing it down - just be careful because scalding hot water will come out under pressure.

I would take the LWCO apart and clean it but make sure you have a set of replacement gaskets on hand. Also if it's over 10 years old you might have to replace it.

Have you tried draining the boiler sown from the mud leg and refilling it a few times? In the end you might want to build yourself a wand and clean the boiler out good.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Johnson_Rod
    Johnson_Rod Member Posts: 31
    Options
    @BobC - I drained a very little out of the mud leg only bc the valve is so close to the floor, and I didn't have a hose or anything to connect to it. It was thick for a moment but then ran clearer.

It's a newer boiler (< 3 years). The LWCO seems to function just fine.