Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rads sucking in air after fitting new radiator on an oil fired system

Options
Paul39N_I
Paul39N_I Member Posts: 1
Help!! We have an oil fired central heating system in our house it also has an immersion heater. I recently fitted a new radiator in the downstairs bathroom then went around bleeding all the radiators on both floors for air blocks but on a couple of the upstairs rads I noticed it was actually sucking air IN not releasing it, Also afterwards I noticed that the hot water tank sounds like it's constantly filling up can anyone try and explain whats going on here as I literally dont have a clue. I noticed that there is 1 pipe coming out of the tanks which then splits into 3 manifolds which then go to diff parts of the house well one is always cold and I'm assuming that's the one that goes to the rads sucking in air?? also if I turn on the immersion heater switch in the airing cupboard where the tank is it makes a horrible noise like a kettle with too little water in it. The weird thing is if I turn on the hot water and heating through the normal oil fired boiler it seems to work fine we get hot water and the radiators get hot!! What the hell is going on lol

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you could post some pics it would help.
    But most likely you don't have enough water (pressure) in the system to push the water to the top and expel all the air, and it's creating a vacuum.
    You're probably getting (air) heat because even though the boiler lacks water, the heat exchanger is getting (too) hot.
    I recommend you let it cool down before adding any water. You don't want to add cool water to a piping hot boiler.
    If you're lucky it will just crack and be ruined.
    When you bleed, you have to add water-either automatically through an automatic water feed (if it's working), or manually with a valve.
    Now if your pressure gauge doesn't work, you'll have to put one on.
    Three manifolds could be tricky if you can't isolate them and do them one at a time. You may even have to make 2 complete passes to get them fully bled.
    Also, you don't want any circulators running when you're adding water, trying to bleed.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    sounds like you need to add water, what is the psi at, should be between 12 to 20 psi
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"