Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

scrap copper, sell or hold??

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,692
I'm sitting on some scrap- I don't follow the market at all, is this a good time to unload or hang on?

Thanks, Gary
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    We had some scrap at work, including copper, batteries, aluminum, etc... our scrap guy said it's all low now because of China. He doesn't see it rising any time soon either.

Who knows....
  • GW
    Options
    OK we will hold on for now thanks
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    If the 'no pricing' policy holds for scrap, can anyone please email me what is considered good?

I have no clue what's good and what's mediocre. We may have 1500 to a ton or so, neatly cut into different bins

gary@wilsonph.com

Or, if Dan is out there, any issues with scrap pricing? See,s like a commodity and not much to do with our individual costs

Thanks
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    Do a google search for:
    "scrap copper prices ma"
  • GW
    Options
    ok that's good, my local place has their pricing online.

I just don't know what's good and what's so-so!
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Gary,
    I don't keep up with the scrap prices cause I don't scrap much. Don't know where you drop your scrap but from the guys I work with that are scrap hounds they recommend the one on Narragansett St in Chicopee.
  • GW
    Options
    yes thanks you mean Kane i think. We do Kane and Sullivan in Holyoke
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Willamansett Waste......... Narragansett st, Chicopee I am told is the best $$$$$$$. Right off Chicopee Street about 1 mile north of Kane. Take a left off Chicopee St onto Narragansett st.
  • GW
    Options
    OK I'll call the, thanks
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    It was nice when prices were high .. We would leave the old boiler near the curb and it would be gone before we installed the new one ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    GW
  • GW
    Options
    yes i just called Narraganset, 10% higher than the others
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    Options
    When thieves make the local news by electrocuting themselves while stealing copper bus bars from the power sub stations, it might be time to sell your copper.
    GW
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    So a professional removal company may be a better gig than a professional installation company. Thinking back I should have allowed a company to cut out the old one remove it and bring the new one in and uncreated it..then clean up the mess. But no I was to stupid and stubborn
  • GW
    Options
    whats a professional moving co?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • j a_2
    Options
    Ones who come in and neatly remove the old boiler, clean up,take delivery of the new one...Dispose of it leagally,and have insurance coverage...Don't all junk guys have insurance,hate to see one get injured on a job,whoops paperwork time...
    Bob Bona_4
  • j a_2
    Options
    You can only roll the dice so long
  • GW
    Options
    yes It's not easy, we have stair climber and lift gate, all the toys
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    MilanD
  • j a_2
    Options
    Yes you need them, that's for sure...it's definitely not easy....One broken stair tread can ruin your day....People are funny,especially the ones you don't expect
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    If anyone knew what would happen to metals prices, they'd be trading copper futures from their yacht in the Caribbean, not posting on Heating Help! :)
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    GWMilanD
  • GW
    Options
    I'm just being a miser so i can pay for my morning latte's
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    j a said:

Yes you need them, that's for sure...it's definitely not easy....One broken stair tread can ruin your day....People are funny,especially the ones you don't expect

yes it's not easy running through peoples homes with heavy equipment, dripping mud, flaky soot, cans of purple primer, torches, working on gas lines, brazing acr, hauling and handing 20 and 21 footers of pipe, and dumpy sets of stairs. I make it a habit to look at the stairs when it's a heavy job. If we split the old boiler i just add some costs to the quote.

Had a guy complain once that one of the sidewalk paver blocks sank into the ground (heavy weight pushed it down an inch or so) He eventually let it go, i thought it was so strange---- DUDE the earth is eroding from under your walkway----can you not see that??? Well I didn't say that but I thought it.

It's so true, some people (extreme minority) I believe are itching to get something hanging over your shoulder for a little guilt game. Those can be interesting conversations. Or, you file it in back pocket---
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    j a_2
  • j a_2
    Options
    Like someone once said here some homeowners expect you to work in there filthy, unlit basement..god knows what's on the old pipes...But when they get to there nice comfy office the **** if the midnight cleaners didn't empty the trash, completely
  • Dave DeFord_2
    Dave DeFord_2 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Just a thought on scrap prices. Around here (mid Michigan) it seems like scrap prices usually go up in the late winter/early spring when the frost laws are on. I don't follow it real closely but I do hear about them occasionally and that seems to be a pattern. Just my two cents.
    GW