Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does a two-pipe steam radiator have to have a steam trap?

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited September 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Does a two-pipe steam radiator have to have a steam trap?

No, but it has to have something to keep the steam from entering the condensate return lines. That “something” may be an internal orifice, a tiny check valve you can’t see, a hidden metal ball or a water seal.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Michael Dilling
    Michael Dilling Member Posts: 10
    Options
    This same advice applies to any device or piece of equipment a technician encounters. We have to be willing to say "I don't know what that is and I'm not going to touch it until i do". It would save a lot of embarrassment, very unhappy customers and lots of contractor money.
  • Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Too true the moment we think we have this business down and out because we have finally learned everything something you have to search for in a 1910 book appears. The day you do not learn something in this business is the day you lock your service truck for the final time. Speaking of strange I had to do a service call in an apartment block older Cleaver Brooks fire tube and I am looking for the condensate pump or something to get the water back in this boiler. When I look up the ceiling is easily fifteen feet high and what do I spot two 3/4 Trane low pressure steam traps running the returns back into the boiler. Never in my days have I seen this before. So I started the boiler got it up to pressure ( set at 9 psi)!! The boiler runs goes off on low water not a suprise and then all of a sudden this hot boiler gets a slug of cold water from these traps and. ---' I am not joking--- this thousand of pounds boiler tries to jump into the air and I thought someone had a howizer cannon directed at the boiler room scared the s**t out of me. So I asked the caretaker how the system works? He says he really did not know as it scares him to go into the boiler room. God bless slum landlords I am sure they will change their ideas once they are shoveling coal into the number two boiler in Hell. Plus, I am still chasing this paragon of virtue for the service call, ah well such is business. All the best Jack Winnipeg Canada