Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Domestic Hot Water Recirculation with a mixing valve

Options
Does anyone have a diagram of how to pipe a recirc line with a thermostatic Honeywell mixing valve? It in New Hampshire and I can run 140 degree water to the system, maybe I don't need the mixing valve? I can't put mixing valves at point of use.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Hmmm, I'd be surprised if the plumbing code allows 140F to the faucet, but I don't know the exact application. In some commercial jobs high temperature is allowed, maybe required for some dishwashing or sanitizing applications.

A point of use valve at every HW connection may be and acceptable option?

Here is a drawing for the correct way to pipe record thru a mixing valve. The crossover balance valve is crucial to prevent temperature droop or creep in the recirc loop.

Idronics11 is an issue dedicated to DHW production and recirculation.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    HVACNUTBob Gagnon plumbing and heating
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response Hot Rod, I'll go with the mixing valve, I like that diagram. Should I put an aquastat in there, or just run it continuous?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Sure, an aqua stat and or timer, or one of the Smart recirc pumps that learn usage trends.

The very best thing for recirc is insulating the entire loop. Then you have the most efficient system.

I've heard California requires recirc on any system longer that 100' and they also require 1" insulation!
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Thanks for all the good info Hot Rod, one last thing. They are boxing I the hot, cold and recirc line, is there any reason why they couldn't insulate around the pipes with fiberglass, rather than insulating the individual pipes?
  • hot_rod
    Options
    If the insulated box enclosure has both H&C running along side one another, will the cold line sweat? The hot may heat up that space and cause condensation? Don't know for sure.

At DHW temperatures, even the less expensive foam pipe insulation is fine, doesn't need to be Armaflex like refrigeration lines use.

I don't know how much tube you have to insulate, but it may be money well spent.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating