Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HTP DHW Install

Options
Folks,

For a while I have been making plans to replace the water heater portion of a Lennox Complete Heat system, and have been lurking here for input on the many details for this changeout. For those that don't know, the Complete Heat system was basically a tank condensing water heater paired with a hydronic air handler.

I finally pulled the trigger and went with an HTP Phoenix PH199-55. The install went well, and the startup was basically flawless. So, my many thanks to the posters on this forum for input on HTP and the above details.

I am now signed up here, so if it's useful, can provide input on the process of choosing this unit, why I ended up installing it myself, installation questions I had, etc.

Hope I don't jinx it somehow by saying this: it has only been installed for two days, but so far the Phoenix appears to be working great, and hopefully will be working fine for a long time!

Thanks again!

Scott
njtommy

Comments

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    I put one in my house last year in early August. I looked at my 3 previous years of gas bills for September. I was down 45% over my power vented tank. It is also much quieter.
  • Scottie61
    Scottie61 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    The old Lennox HM30 was similar to this in format, so I wouldn't think it would be too much different, but I'll give it a look.

When I first powered it up it was pretty loud, and I suppose that it was going at full power on a tank of cold water. Since then, though, it must be throttling way back, and we can't hear it at all from upstairs.

So far so good

Thanks!

Scott
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Is the Lennox similar to the Apollo system? Read "Repeated water heater failure" in Domestic Hot Water.
    It's a funky situation there, and the multiple problems aren't with the system, but the installation and so called repairs. Interesting thread.
    You guys must be in a fairly temperate climate.

**Not off topic at all. Seems very similar to the Apollo system. The Lennox offers a close coupled design as a package A/H, water heater, but otherwise it's basically the same design.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    No, I am in the Great White North in Montreal.
  • Scottie61
    Options
    I'm in western Wisconsin, with plenty of cold winter weather here!

I read the Apollo system thread you mentioned. Seems really strange that anyone would leave out a pressure relief valve! Pretty scary that a plumber in the business would even consider doing that.

Scott
    Rich_49
  • Scottie61
    Options
    Here's my recent story, FWIW:

The Lennox Complete Heat system does/did appear to be similar to the Apollo setup, with a domestic water heater feeding a hydronic air handler. Functionality-wise, I liked the Complete Heat, and we luckily did not see the problems that so many others had with this system. It actually served us pretty well for over 15 years, running on hard well water.

The main difference from what I have seen on the Apollo, is that while the Apollo appeared to be a fairly standard non-condensing water heater, the Complete Heat HM30 water heater is/was a hi-efficiency condensing type with a stainless tank. Our HM30 was 150kbtu, and I don't think it modulated down.

Overall, I liked the system, and it worked well. When the HM30 was starting to show it's age (ignition problems, excess condensate causing a rusting combustion chamber, cracked exhaust manifold), I started looking around. On here and other forums, I started looking at the different modulating condensing water heaters that could also be used to drive the old Lennox AM30 air handler, and between the Polaris, the AO Smith Vertex, and the HTP Phoenix, the Phoenix made the most sense to me.

I had a local HTP rep come out to look at my setup, and he (of course) agreed about the Phoenix and gave me 3 installers to contact. Not sure if that meant much, since he wants to sell HTP, right? At any rate, last spring and into summer I did a bit of calling, and hey, I know that folks are busy, but I couldn't seem to get any calls back after the initial contact. I did *not* want to go into another winter with the HM30 and have it die when it was -5F outside.

So, and I've never claimed to be the brightest bulb, I bought it at Boston Heating Supply and installed it myself.

Working great so far, but it's only been a week!

Scott
    HVACNUT