Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PVC Venting / Power Vent Water Heater

Options
Hello, checking out the ASTM standards for venting a power vent water heater. I would like to use long radius 90 deg elbows. Problem is I can only find Schedule DWV or ASTM D 1784. This is non pressure application. The temperature range is 140, same as a Schedule 40. Manufactures call for ASTM D 1785. I can not find a fitting that meets that. If I look at Muller Industries their DWV fitting meet ASTM-D2665. Any one ever run into this ? Thanks!
Gene
Gene in Northern NJ
NJ HVACR License 19HC00537600

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    I could of course be wrong but my understanding is that "IPEX" is the only brand of PVC that is "listed & approved" for venting. Don't know if they have approved long radius 90s
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    When I feel the need for less restrictive flow I use 2 45 ells with some length between. Even a street 45 glued directly into a standard 45 will give you more radius.

I used to do the same thing for DWV to avoid sharp turns especially on the horizontal run.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Ipex S636 PVC is the same except for colour and labelling as SCH 40 PVC. There are only two makers of S636 PVC so they can charge more than SCH 40 PVC! Use two 45s instead of an elbow.
    JUGHNE
  • Bug512
    Bug512 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The two 45's make a lot of sense.
    Gene in Northern NJ
    NJ HVACR License 19HC00537600