Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Experts Input: is this skim port/prv setup ok?

MilanD
MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
edited September 2017 in Strictly Steam
Since repiping the rotted out valve on one of 3 main branches, and having to deal with water issues (failed section, descaling, etc), I wanted to create a better skimming port/descaling port. I used 2" side opening where prv was bushed down. I don't see why this wouldn't be ok, but thought to ask.

Thanks!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Well, this is just my opinion, maybe being too picky.

I would prefer it if you turned the branch of the tee looking straight up with a 6" nipple between the tee and the safety valve with the safety valve mounted on the tee branch

Then skim out of the run of the tee. I could envision crud from skimming coming out of the boiler and getting washed into the safety valve.
    newagedawnMilanD
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    Then again, you really want the relief valve as close to the boiler as possible...
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I was considering doing this on an old boiler I am cleaning up.
    However the PRV is at the center line of the 6" side outlet (2 used) but to the rear of the sections. Would this be effective for skimming?
    1974 American Standard 1B-J2 1,800,000 input.
    If workable I would just remove the PRV while skimming.
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    If my placement is otherwise ok, I won't worry about crud as much. It is on the bushing which lifts it a bit off the bottom of the 2" nipple. If issue with dirt comes ahout I can always remove the prv prior to skimming.

Thanks guys!