Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Location of steam radiator trap test station

Options
I'm planning the installation of a radiator steam trap test station. It seems like the simplest location for the test station is the piping for the low water cut-off units. I could remove one of the plugs from the piping (see picture) and install a test station with the appropriate valves & safety precautions.

Would that be OK? Or is there a better location I should shoot for?

Thanks

Comments

• Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    That's a good idea. I don't see any reason that would be a bad place to locate it.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Could the condensate from the trap run down into the cross and never cool the trap to open?

I wonder if you should come out of the horizontal part of the cross with a valve and then 90 down and then out to the horizontal for the trap.
    That would let some condensate collect to cool the trap and open for dumping and then close again. Just a WAG.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    is there a place you can get dryer steam from?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• MountainSteam
    MountainSteam Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Could the condensate from the trap run down into the cross and never cool the trap to open?
    23 of my radiators have a Hoffman 17C trap, and 6 have a Sterling 750A. Both are elbow shaped with the exit pointing down.
    So I was going to make pipe T, with one each of these traps at each end of the horizontal part of the T (exit pointing down), preceded by a valve. The steam would enter the middle of the T and stop at the valves. I could put questionable inserts in a trap, open the corresponding valve, and watch for spit and steam coming out from under the trap.
    So the vertical part of the T would be very short and I didn't think there'd be much condensate in it.

But the more I think about, the less I'm excited about doing this on top of the boiler. It may be technically OK, but do I want spit and steam coming out over my instruments? And when I torque the trap lids off and on, how will I avoid torquing the middle of the T as well?

is there a place you can get dryer steam from?
    I have an opening in one of the main loops where a feed used to go to the garage before the garage radiator was removed. But it is along the basement ceiling, so the pipe to the T of the test station would have to go down to an inverted T. I could mount the test station securely to the wall (good) and put a valve at the high point by the main to prevent water from filling the pipe that goes down to the T. But I don't think this steam will be dryer.
    My other options are the typical openings on the side of the boiler for gauges and instruments. I could pipe from there to a wall in the boiler room and fasten my T there.

Any further feedback is appreciated.
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    The best location is 91 Pacella Park Dr Randolph, MA

Happy to test them for you if you decide you don't want to bother with a setup.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    New England SteamWorks