Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

foam insulation block for pumps

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
It is tough to do a nice insulation detail on pumps, and for chilled water they need to be air tight.

I use Kaizen www.kaizeninserts.com foam to build product display cases and line my tool boxes.. Blank sheets on Amazon also. It is built like an onion, you cut and peel away layers, very easy to build custom shapes in it with an Exacto knife.

I had a small scrap piece to practice, I heated a pump volute and put it onto the foam to rely a perfect shape. It worked without burning any paint on the pump, just remove the motor first :)

Here is my product case example also.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    hot rod said:

It is tough to do a nice insulation detail on pumps, and for chilled water they need to be air tight.

I use Kaizen www.kaizeninserts.com foam to build product display cases and line my tool boxes.. Blank sheets on Amazon also. It is built like an onion, you cut and peel away layers, very easy to build custom shapes in it with an Exacto knife.

I had a small scrap piece to practice, I heated a pump volute and put it onto the foam to rely a perfect shape. It worked without burning any paint on the pump, just remove the motor first :)

Here is my product case example also.

Why isn't this stuff available premade?
    Just like filter drier insulation covers for A\C systems. No such thing.

You would think a company like Aeroflex could make a killing making custom covers for driers, pumps, valves etc.

For the filter drier I ended up just wrapping multiple layers of 1/8" thick tape on it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    I have installed Grundfoss pumps that came from the factory with molded foam insulation blocks.

That's a good idea I didn't know where to get that material.

And yes, chilled water is very tough and time consuming to insulate well.