Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Caleffi & Uponor manifold orientation

Options
roundrightfarm
roundrightfarm Member Posts: 54
I'm looking for manifolds for a 19 loop home-run hydronic system.

The boiler room is in the basement and all piping will go up from there. Both Caleffi and Uponor have flow/balancing devices,which I definitely want, but everything in the manuals shows the manifolds mounted with the piping headed in a downward direction.

Is the orientation of these manifold important in order for the flow meters to work properly? It would be annoying to have to put a 180 degree turn in all 38 pipes.

Comments

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Good practice to have the flow meters up, plus if there's going to be loop actuators, you don't want them upside down. Bring the loop leaders down and up into manifolds.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    If you can put a wall up and drop the loops behind them, then up in front and into the manifolds. I've used (and I can't remember the name) 2 of those purple (Watts?) guides that make and form a 90° loop instead of attaching elbows, but you are still going to have a lot of pipe loops.
    I have seen them upside down, and flat (under a floor), I'm sure they would be ok that way too
    steve
  • roundrightfarm
    roundrightfarm Member Posts: 54
    Options
    This system will not have electronic actuators, the loop[s will be controlled by TRVs on the radiators in each room
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    The Caleffi manifolds can be ordered inverted. Flow indicators are spring loaded and work upside down. Actuators are fine upside down also except for chilled water

Actually some models of our actuators Are hermetically sealed for inverted chilled water

Manifolds could be vertical also
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hcpatel78
    hcpatel78 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    > @hot_rod said:
    > The Caleffi manifolds can be ordered inverted. Flow indicators are spring loaded and work upside down. Actuators are fine upside down also except for chilled water
    >
    > Actually some models of our actuators Are hermetically sealed for inverted chilled water
    >
    > Manifolds could be vertical also

Can I buy regular S1 manifold and convert to inverted?
    Thank you,
    Hiren Patel
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    hcpatel78 said:

> @hot_rod said:

> The Caleffi manifolds can be ordered inverted. Flow indicators are spring loaded and work upside down. Actuators are fine upside down also except for chilled water

>

> Actually some models of our actuators Are hermetically sealed for inverted chilled water

>

> Manifolds could be vertical also

Can I buy regular S1 manifold and convert to inverted?

You would need to switch the air vent and drain valve if you invert the standard S1. We assemble and pressure test all the manifolds in Milwaukee. if you disassemble and change things, you lose that assurance of the pressure test.

I think those parts are installed with Loctite, it may not be easy to switch in the field.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream