Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

leak seal kits

Are leak seal kits good to use? I have heard mixed results.I have a Goodman HVAC system installed in 2009 with a small leak, maybe from the evaporator coil.I have heard of that brand from that year having problems with leaks at the evaporator coil and bad fan motors. I was wondering if it is better to replace the coil if that is where the leak is or just add the leak seal to the system.

Comments

  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 11,491
    edited July 2017
    chap007 said:

    Are leak seal kits good to use? I have heard mixed results.I have a Goodman HVAC system installed in 2009 with a small leak, maybe from the evaporator coil.I have heard of that brand from that year having problems with leaks at the evaporator coil and bad fan motors. I was wondering if it is better to replace the coil if that is where the leak is or just add the leak seal to the system.

    Isn't that still under warranty?
    Of course new is better than leak seal. Personally I'd never use leak seal, but, some guys swear by it.

    If I had to give advice, I'd say the only time to ever use leak seal is on a dying system that you're trying to limp along another year or two. Never on something you, or the customer actually care about.

    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 587
    chrisj said
    Isn't that still under warranty?
    Of course new is better than leak seal. Personally I'd never use leak seal, but, some guys swear by it.

    If I had to give advice, I'd say the only time to ever use leak seal is on a dying system that you're trying to limp along another year or two. Never on something you, or the customer actually care about.

    i agree, if its under warranty get a new one, i deal with Goodman all the time and my supplier would replace it in a heart beat, but then you need to pay someone to change it, unless you got the insurance for a ten yr warranty that covers parts and labor
    and
    is that the reAL question cheap it or spend the money to fix it?
    i have used leak sealers and for small leaks they work great but for bigger ones not so good, its always a gamble with a leak seal

    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • chap007
    chap007 Member Posts: 17
    Thank you Chrisj and newagedawn,
    The unit is only 8 years old and I intend to get many more years, so we will fix it instead of sealing it.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 1,640
    Small hard to find leaks , leak seal is an blessing ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,700
    Goodman uses a crimp seal on the process tube on many of their evap coils. It's a simple repair and easy to find with soap.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 11,491
    unclejohn said:

    Goodman uses a crimp seal on the process tube on many of their evap coils. It's a simple repair and easy to find with soap.

    Isn't a process tube when they crimp off a line after vacuuming and charging small appliances such as a dehumidifier or refrigerator?

    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 3,790
    > @ChrisJ said:
    > Goodman uses a crimp seal on the process tube on many of their evap coils. It's a simple repair and easy to find with soap.
    >
    > Isn't a process tube when they crimp off a line after vacuuming and charging small appliances such as a dehumidifier or refrigerator?
    >
    >> I think he's saying that's a prime location for a leak to be found on a Goodman evap.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 11,491
    edited August 2017
    HVACNUT said:

    > @ChrisJ said:

    > Goodman uses a crimp seal on the process tube on many of their evap coils. It's a simple repair and easy to find with soap.

    >

    > Isn't a process tube when they crimp off a line after vacuuming and charging small appliances such as a dehumidifier or refrigerator?

    >

    >> I think he's saying that's a prime location for a leak to be found on a Goodman evap.

    Yeah I saw that.
    But what is he calling a process tube in this case? I don't think Goodman makes anything with what I think a process tube is. Or do they?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!