Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

buderus st/300

Hello all
Today discovered my st/300 water tank has a coil leaking causing the pressure valve on the boiler to trip. Tanks about 12 years old. I have good water here in Seattle.I need to follow up on a replacement on Monday. My question is for those who have been shopping is there a better choice for tanks then buderus since it has been 12 years. It does seem early for a tank failure.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    12 years is middle of the road.
    Buderus makes a quality product.
    Have you checked / replaced the anode rod annually?
  • rod robbins
    rod robbins Member Posts: 50
    I have not checked the rod. It has an electrical system and has a green light. I thought that monitored the rod condition?
  • rod robbins
    I went back to the manual to double check and i see no mention of anode rod test or inspections mentioned. I have a st300/1. I do see the anode rod maintenance on the st300/2 models.I'm guessing the green light is self testing.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Interesting enough most of the Buderus failures I see are not of the tank but of the coil. I'm not really sure how much the anode will actually protect that.
    One of the tanks I have been installing is the Brad-White Powerstor. It has 3 anodes in it and has a pretty good warranty.
  • rod robbins
    I opened up the tank today and it looks pretty good inside.The coil is leaking where its welded to the wall on the tank.The anode rod is just a piece of steel wire about 14 gauge.
  • HVACNUT
    Just the wire left on the anode rod means its done. Magnesium is gone and no tank protection.
  • rod robbins
    The instruction manual indicates to rely on the light on the front. No mention of what the rod is supposed to look like.
  • HVACNUT
    The anode rod should be about 1" diameter and replaced when it erodes to about 3/4".
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Buderus tanks have a 10-15 year life expectancy. Even with Seattle water. I use Viessmann VitoCell 300 tanks which have a lifetime warranty to the original owner.