Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

buderus st/300

Hello all
Today discovered my st/300 water tank has a coil leaking causing the pressure valve on the boiler to trip. Tanks about 12 years old. I have good water here in Seattle.I need to follow up on a replacement on Monday. My question is for those who have been shopping is there a better choice for tanks then buderus since it has been 12 years. It does seem early for a tank failure.

Comments

• HVACNUTHVACNUT Member Posts: 3,097
    12 years is middle of the road.
    Buderus makes a quality product.
    Have you checked / replaced the anode rod annually?
  • rod robbinsrod robbins Member Posts: 50
    I have not checked the rod. It has an electrical system and has a green light. I thought that monitored the rod condition?
    I went back to the manual to double check and i see no mention of anode rod test or inspections mentioned. I have a st300/1. I do see the anode rod maintenance on the st300/2 models.I'm guessing the green light is self testing.
  • kcoppkcopp Member Posts: 3,438
    Interesting enough most of the Buderus failures I see are not of the tank but of the coil. I'm not really sure how much the anode will actually protect that.
    One of the tanks I have been installing is the Brad-White Powerstor. It has 3 anodes in it and has a pretty good warranty.
    I opened up the tank today and it looks pretty good inside.The coil is leaking where its welded to the wall on the tank.The anode rod is just a piece of steel wire about 14 gauge.
    Just the wire left on the anode rod means its done. Magnesium is gone and no tank protection.
    The instruction manual indicates to rely on the light on the front. No mention of what the rod is supposed to look like.
    The anode rod should be about 1" diameter and replaced when it erodes to about 3/4".
  • Paul PolletsPaul Pollets Member Posts: 3,262
    Buderus tanks have a 10-15 year life expectancy. Even with Seattle water. I use Viessmann VitoCell 300 tanks which have a lifetime warranty to the original owner.