Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do they still sell riser sleeves? (I'm not sure if that's the correct term.)

Options
diamond67
diamond67 Member Posts: 9
I live in a 101-year-old apartment building with steam heat. In most of the rooms, there is a sleeve around the riser as it passes through the ceiling. The plaster is finished tight up to the sleeve, and the riser can expand and contract within the sleeve.

I'm about to gut-renovate our bathroom, and it appears that the sleeve is missing. Since all the other risers have them, I'm assuming (hoping) that they come apart to slip around the riser. I would like to put one in since this seems like the best way to neatly finish around the pipe without an escutcheon. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? I'm not even sure if this is what they're called; I can't seem to find any reference to them.

Thanks.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    yes. Trim ring or Escutcheon...

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Escutcheons-728000
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    They also make PVC sleeves that go around fiberglass pipe insulation to encase it. If that's something you're interested in.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    kcopp said:

Or we could make you one's out of oak. We do that locally.
    They clip on.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Canuckerkcopp
  • ChrisJ
    Options

kcopp said:

Or we could make you one's out of oak. We do that locally.
    They clip on.
    Is there anything you guys don't make?

We really need you to start making blocks, so we have steamers that don't rott.

Gill boilers. 50 year warranty.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    I think the gentlemen is referring to a pipe sleeve.

It's just a piece of pipe large enough for the riser to pass through.

I have never seen split riser sleeves. They are usually installed as the pipe is being put together.

Unless someone else has seen something?????????????

Suggestion:

If you have access from above or below (attic or basement) you could get a piece of larger pipe and saw it lengthwise into two pieces, (split it in half) You could then slip this around the riser pipe and hold it in place and support it with a riser clamp the correct size for the new sleeve
  • diamond67
    diamond67 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Yes, I'm talking about a riser sleeve. (I guess that's the proper term.) We have one in the kitchen (that wasn't very effectively tied in with the plaster/drywall compound.) I'm gutting the bathroom and was hoping to do a similar detail, just better.

Ed's idea of using a pipe and cutting it in half lengthwise is interesting. But I think I'm going to try to just go up close to the edge and see if I can keep it neat. I'm planning on stripping the paint and either leaving the pipe bare and industrial looking or painting it matte black with heat paint. A slight gap will hardly be noticeable.

Plan B will be to use an escutcheon as kcopp mentioned.

• ChrisJ
    Options
    If room allows, and if it's something you'd want you could also easily box it in and sheet rock around it if there's no vents to maintain etc.

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Not sure what size that riser pipe is but you can get a section of galvanized stove pipe or vent pipe, just a little bigger than that riser, cut it to the length you need, put it around the pipe and then snap the seam together. Turn it so the seam faces the corner of the wall.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I would plaster right up to it but keep a 1/4" clearance around the pipe. Then use a ceiling flange that is split and attaches to the pipe with a screw or friction fit. The first time the pipe expands the flange will push to the ceiling and then retract as the pipe cools. There will always be a small gap but may not be noticed at the ceiling.
    If the plaster is adhered to the pipe expansion and contraction will crack your new plaster. IMO