Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping for oil tank fill

Options
PBPB
PBPB Member Posts: 6
I am installing a new 275 gallon oil tank in my basement. For the oil fill piping I use 2"id. Should that pipe be black iron or galvanized? Thanks Peter

Comments

• mgdesrochers
    mgdesrochers Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Black Iron. Just wondering...is 2" required by code in your location? Or can you do 1-1/4" or 1-1/2"? So long as the vent pipe is equal to or larger than the fill pipe. Not sure there's a huge cost difference but might be worth looking into...Either way it should all be black iron.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Definitely pipe a 2" fill AND vent. You can use gal, and I like to use it so it won't get exterior rust. Also, as a suggestion, outside, put on a 90 degree elbow, a nipple and a 45 degree female skully fill box so it's less likely oil will drip out when the nozzle is released.
    Also Beckett makes The Rocket, which is a remote tank level indicator. I love mine. Just make sure you set the dip switches on the receiver to match your tank.
  • PBPB
    Options
    Thanks, 2" was recommended by my oil delivery company. Another question, I am piping dual 275 gallon oil tanks and wondering if I have 2 separate fills can I use one connected vent pipe from both tanks. 2 tank vent alarm whistles "T" to one vent pipe coming out of the house.
    Thanks
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited June 2017
    Options
    For 2 tanks, I would use 2 fills, and tee the vents together. Just make sure your vents have unions so you can change out the vent alarm easily if ever needed. Also swing joints (required by code) because there will be some slight movement between the tanks as one gets filled
    I personally use 1-1/2" for fills and vents now. or if it's an extremely long run, 1-1/2 fill, 2" vent. Galv on the exterior side, or paint.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• PBPB
    Options
    Thanks Steve
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    I've always piped twinned tanks, fill in one tank, vent and gauge in the other tank, and a 2" crossover with swing joints.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Yeah, not illegal to set up exactly that way, but it's not for me. A problem/clog in the crossover and the first tank gets over pressurized-if it's not always getting over pressurized on the fill.
    I have a customer like that where there was crud in the first tank, blocking the supply line. Claims they are 'running out of fuel' (gauge shows empty), even though my records indicate they should be about 1/2 full. But as soon as I started filling, the gauge moves (first tank full, second tank empty).
    Even Roth tanks-2 fills, 2 whistles connected together for 1 vent, 2 gauges. I don't even use their crossover for fills.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Most oil drivers like to see and the feel of an 2" fill and 1 1/4" vent .. Something to do with back pressure . and the sound of the whistle . All pipes pitch back down to the tank ..

Added note .. 13" and 12" tank legs as to 1/4" pitch toward bottom drain .. Single filter after the tee .. Water in the tank creates an environment for the bug that poops out acidic sludge ...

• HVACNUT
    Options
    > @STEVEusaPA said:
    > Yeah, not illegal to set up exactly that way, but it's not for me. A problem/clog in the crossover and the first tank gets over pressurized-if it's not always getting over pressurized on the fill.
    > I have a customer like that where there was crud in the first tank, blocking the supply line. Claims they are 'running out of fuel' (gauge shows empty), even though my records indicate they should be about 1/2 full. But as soon as I started filling, the gauge moves (first tank full, second tank empty).
    > Even Roth tanks-2 fills, 2 whistles connected together for 1 vent, 2 gauges. I don't even use their crossover for fills.

>> I've never had an issue where a 2" crossover was plugged or restricted.
    The oil lines on bottom fed tanks will occasionally plug up. That's what push/pull pumps are for.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Fills and vents must be the same size in most locations (or the vent can be larger than the fill) 2" fill and 1 1/4 vent used to be legal in Mass....not anymore.

Crossover connection is legal but personally I prefer separate fill and a common vent as @STEVEusaPA mentioned.

Be sure that the fills and vents are all pitched down toward the tank. You don't need much pitch just be sure that the fills and vents all have not oil pockets in them.
    woodhaus
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Yes Mass , .. I like the one only top feed tanks up there ....I guess the sludge and tank replacements keeps everyone working .. Claim just in case of oil line leak.. I guess nothing siphons up there .. Or tanks are not rotting out from the inside out from algae poop .. :) within 10 years..Good luck .. .. :) Keep the low point the filter