Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"Select Temp" steam radiators piped with 3/8" & 1/4" tubing !!

Options
singh
singh Member Posts: 866
Need help on this one, I've never seen or heard of this until now. I have an architect friend who asked me to look and consult on a large home with steam system using about $20-25K of oil per season.

The boiler was replaced in 2009 with a Burnham V906 - 808 MBH. But the fun part begins throughout the house each room has Select-Temp zoned radiators that are piped with copper tubing 3/8" o.d. coming off 1 1/2" brazed copper mains. Some room radiators were replaced with Turbonics hydronic units, w fans. Piped with 1/2" S&R.

My guess is the system is designed to condense immediately once steam hits these units and act as a hot water system/convector type system. I have no clue how to help them reduce their fuel bills.

Amazingly, the owner gave me copies of the original instruction manual for this system from the '50's. If I get a chance I will scan them if any body wants to look at.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

P.S. It's been awhile since I've been on the Wall, nice to know we still have this resource. Dev--

Comments

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    Sounds like a Iron Fireman mini tube system. Google Gerry Gill Plumbing.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    the system work well..what is it you wish to know?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,539
    Options
    And Gerry builds them even better.
    Retired and loving it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,577
    Options
    maybe the fans are gummed up and not running
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Since all reports of the "Iron Fireman" system are favorable when first installed, why not find out what may have changed along with the boiler since first installed.
    Boiler piping may be particularly important here in regard to reducing excessive water carryover-has it been done according to the instructions? What pressure is the system attaining?
    Do the radiators all receive steam at the same time-silently?
    Does the fuel consumption match the heat loss calculations for the house?
    What sort of thermostat controls the heat, and have excessive temperature setbacks been used to "save money"?
    Are the supply pipes insulated?
    Pictures are worth a thousand words!--NBC