Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vintage Cast-iron baseboard - this generally available out there?

drosner
drosner Member Posts: 45
Hi - I have a cast iron baseboard in one of my rooms that appears to be pretty old. It adds a really nice vintage look to the room without taking up the space of a radiator. I'd like to try and find something like this for a new bedroom i'm adding to the house and wondering if I can my hands on this.

Anyone know a good source for this in the NJ/Philly area? I'm in Bucks County PA which has lots of places where I can find antique radiators but haven't seen the iron baseboards. Also welcome any perspectives if I should give up my quest and just get the slant fin if its a lot better/efficient. This will be for a bedroom and bath that will be added to the end of an existing zone....

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    How about posting a picture of the one you have so we can see if there may be a match somewhere.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    If you have cast iron baseboards and the houses in your neighborhood were built around the same time, or look alike, you could get a cordless sawzall......JUST KIDDING!!
    But you can keep an eye out for neighbors remodeling. People NOT in the know tend to yank out the cast iron, rather than clean it up, and put in cleaner (looking), cheaper common baseboard.
    Also if you know an HVAC contractor/plumber, who does a lot of this type of work, they may be yanking these out and (hopefully) saving them or tossing them.
    Back in the 70/80's everyone was tossing out this stuff and would give them away if you came and got them.
    Just remember to air test them to see if they hold pressure when you buy them used because that could be the other reason why they were removed.
    steve
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    You can still purchase new cast iron baseboard- of course it's not "vintage" looking, but it's still cast iron.

Search for Burnam Baseray or GOV-BOARD (both are the same product).

It's about 3x the price of fin tube... but if you need/want it... you can still purchase it new and it's not outrageously priced.
  • mcgee45
    mcgee45 Member Posts: 7
    Curious with the looks and style of that vintage cast iron. Share some pics.