Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Interesting Radiator Plumbing!

Harry_6
Harry_6 Member Posts: 141
I came across this youtube of a gentleman installing radiators in his house. A cookie to anyone who can spot the problem(s)! www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIDZFkUxFTU

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,715
    I think you have a bad link there.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Harry_6
    I think you're right. For some odd reason I can't link to the url. Even the copy and paste version won't work?! Well, if you're interested, the youtube is called "cast iron radiator plumbing" by "Stoker Don." You can go to it via the title, but for some reason I can't copy the url and get it to work. It won't even let me link to the saved version on my computer. God, I hate these things.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,553
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,038
    Looks like a low temp supply would work......so is that a ModCon coal burner??
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,715
    That is a massive amount of radiation for one small room. I read comments and he claims to have run heat loss, I think he carried too many 1's.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Expansion...contraction? No worries about oxygen?
    The basement-I nearly threw up in my mouth.
    steve
  • Harry_6
    Well, my first thought was also that it was WAY too much radiation (although it IS hot water), but he has daisy-chained together a row of radiators with one small pipe at the bottom. Well, that's not great practice flow-wise, since the water only has incentive to flow directly from the inlet to the outlet, without much circulation taking place (although they did sometimes do it in the old days - but with bigger pipe). But also, they're in series. So the water temperature, even if he had used large enough pipe, would still be very low by the time it exited. That's one reason they usually took them off the mains individually. So my thought was: too small pipe, dubious flow and too much radiation in series. If it was me, I'd have bitten the bullet and piped them in individually - ideally top and bottom (although some of his can't be set up that way).

I would also have used steam instead. :)
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I get the feeling he figured out a heatloss (not necsarilly for that room), figured out how many feet of baseboard he needed to satisfy it, then put that many 'feet' of radiators in.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    I'm with @STEVEusaPA .......the basement :s
  • Harry_6
    That's why the movies always tell you: "Don't look in the basement!"