Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing convector with baseboard

crazyfingers
crazyfingers Member Posts: 3
Hey guys I've got pretty typical 1960 one story ranch with a single zone hot water system, a total of 6 convectors on the loop. While everything works great and I use very little oil, the size and location of a couple of the convectors is killing me. Though I've seen baseboard cut in to systems like this before, I'd like some feedback on the right way to do it or if its the right thing to do at all. I know it sounds silly but picture a very small living room with an 8"x 6' housing sticking out of the wall...
thanks

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    are the convectors cast iron or fin type? You shouldn't mix fin tube baseboard or fin tube convectors on the same zone with cast iron baseboard or cast iron convectors as it will lead to uneven heating.

Mixing baseboard and convectors are ok as long as they are the same type
    crazyfingers
  • crazyfingers
    Thats great. The convectors are fin. My only other concern was changing the spacing of the tees. I've gotten a couple on different options on this (all from people w limited experience). Someone said the space between the tees is effected by the size of the convector. 1) is this true? 2) if so, does this still come in to play if converted to baseboard? Thanks again Ed
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Do you have a series loop, or monoflo?
    The monoflo has a perimeter loop around the basement with branches to each convector. If it's monoflo, you will need to install vents on each to purge air. You also need to do a heat loss calculation to see how much baseboard you'll need in each room, and it will take up a lot more floor space than your existing convectors.
    Slant/Fin 30 will give you about 600 BTU'S per linear ft. at 180 degrees boiler temp.
    crazyfingers
  • crazyfingers
    It's monoflo, I only intend to change one room over to start. I realize the baseboard will take up some room but my convectors are not recessed. With the cover, trim and the 8" unit it equals nearly 10" off the wall. They vary in length from room to room but all top off at about 30". In a house less than 1000sqft losing the use of one wall per room is too much.