Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace & Air Conditioning reliability

Options
Tim Potter
Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
My house was built in 1992 & has the original HVAC consisting of an atmospheric gas furnace, & central air. I am starting to look at preemptive replacement. It looks like in the KC area our HDD is about 3300 & our CDD is about 2200.

Let me say I believe proper installation is the key to success, & I have the benefit of having several qualified independent HVAC contractors as my customers for their auto repair needs.

Which brands would you rate higher, assuming the same installer?

I would want a manual J to size equipment.

80% furnace vs 90% (it would not be hard to run venting for 90%)
Variable speed air handler?
the possibility of basic zoning, upstairs/main floor

Single stage outdoor unit vs 2stage

What thermostat? I want internet control, humidifier, & dehumidifier control also

anything I am missing?

Thank You for any thoughts & input

Tim
Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    90% furnace, pick the best installer and let him use the equipment he thinks is best. Do the manual J 2 stage outdoor unit
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    What size of furnace and AC do you have now? This is KC, Missouri, correct?
  • Tim Potter
    Options
    AC is 4 ton, seems about right sized, possibly drop to 3 1/2 ton by adding some more attic insulation & accepting a little less cool on design day. The furnace is 150,000, WAY oversized by 2, My thermostat tracks usage. Kansas City metro area.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    In the past did your 4 ton AC run nearly constantly on design day?
    That is assuming was tuned up to produce the 4 tons.

It has been said here frequently that an AC only dehumidifies when it is running. KC is, from what I hear, a pretty humid place, not necessarily that hot temp wise.
    The smaller output of a 2 stage will give you more run time, more dehumidification and more comfort at a higher indoor temp.
    2nd stage would be there for those few design days of burner temps. IMO
  • Tim Potter
    Options
    our max high last year was only 99*, we have seen many 105's in the past. On that day the AC was in use 81% from 3:00 to 7:00
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A 2 stage 4 ton A\C would solve most of your concerns and yet still keep up when it's 105 out. To an extent.

This is also assuming your current system is functioning properly.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    I have in my house a York 80,000 BTU 93% AFUE with variable speed fan and modulating burner. I leave the fan on winter like summer. The unit is quiet and the house is very comfortable. The AC unit is a York 3 ton 2 stage. Most of the time it works with the lower stage.My natural gas consumption for hot water, fireplace pilot, cooking and BBQ is just above our area average for an apartment unit at 2100 Cubic meter mine 2300. Since the York AC unit install, our electric bills for the summer months droped around 20 %.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    Options
    Henry said:

I have in my house a York 80,000 BTU 93% AFUE with variable speed fan and modulating burner. I leave the fan on winter like summer. The unit is quiet and the house is very comfortable. The AC unit is a York 3 ton 2 stage. Most of the time it works with the lower stage.My natural gas consumption for hot water, fireplace pilot, cooking and BBQ is just above our area average for an apartment unit at 2100 Cubic meter mine 2300. Since the York AC unit install, our electric bills for the summer months droped around 20 %.

Henry,
    What fan?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment