Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast Iron Baseboard Question.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    The paint is an acrylic enamel. Not sure why pics didn't load. Have to upload as a file and not a picture I guess.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    ^ looks great!

From reading/searching... it seems latex is a no-no and can cause rusting within a few hours whereas the enamels (oil or solvent based) protect against rust.

At this point... unless I find compelling evidence against it- I plan to spray paint the backside/fins with Rustoleum and use a sponge hot dog roller with regular Rustoleum out of a can on the front and top after the install.

I'm planning to do the install this weekend....
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    One more question for the pros....

Do I need to level or pitch these cast iron baseboard radiators?
    The install manual has nothing regarding leveling.

The supply and returns will be from the bottom taps and I will be installing the Taco hygroscopic coin vent(s) to the top taps to release trapped air.

Thanks in advance...
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    Flushed, assembled and installed the 9' and 10' sections today. All 3/4" copper no pex!

Started at 9am finished at 8pm... no breaks.

Will pressure test tomorrow, if it's all good will paint and do wood trim work.

At 170lbs for the 10' section- it's not a super fun one man job! I'm tired, sore, stinky... already took two aspirins and a hot shower. Getting up tomorrow morning should be interesting.... :o
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    I hope you didn't forget the reflective foil on the wall.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• NY_Rob
    Options
    ^ that's only called for if you're recessing the GOV-BOARD into the wall... I'm installing freestanding.

I will have to use the "Air-Seal" tape and quarter round molding along the top edge though.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    It was always standard operating procedure but I have been retired for 16 years.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• NY_Rob
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ^ Thanks for your concern Bob... I appreciate it.
    Here's what the install manual says...

3. Recessing of Gov-Board Assemblies and Trim.
    (If Gov-Board to be installed free-standing, proceed to
    Step 4.)
    Gov-Board and Trim may be partially recessed or installed free standing against the finished wall surface. Although procedure for preparing recess may vary slightly with type of finished wall, in general, steps outlined below for lath and plaster construction may be followed:
    a. Nail ½” plaster ground to studs with the
    bottom of the plaster ground located 10”
    above finished floor.
    * Additional height must be allowed if recess
    prepared before finished floor is laid or if wall-
    to-wall carpeting is to be installed – see Step 2
    of Installation Instructions.
    b. Line back of recess with paper-backed
    aluminum foil. This can be accomplished
    quickly and neatly by stapling foil to studs with
    staple gun. Foil surface should be on room
    side.

Step 4 is the following illustration...
    (My install is via the top illustration including the 2-1/2"X1/2" wood strip under the new radiator)

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Meh, seems like a detail that deteriorates over time. At the very least you followed manufactor instructions. I akin it to bubble foils in joist bays collecting dust.
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    Install is done except for the 1/4 round wood strip at the top of the radiator- waiting for the "Air-Seal" tape to arrive before installing the molding.

The Rustoleum worked out great- spray painted the back with the fins and the right & left valve covers and corner cover... liquid Rustoleum with a sponge hot dog roller on the top and front sides after installed.

One leaker... the supply male 3/4" adapter to copper pipe.
    That one is very close to the floor and wall and can only be soldered once the radiator is fixed in place. I guess in my quest to not burn down the house I didn't get it hot enough. Lost about 1.5hrs fixing that one after the fact!

Oh, well.... done and done.... :)

On to the Heating Edge 2 upgrades.... at least those sections aren't 170lbs each.