Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Banging Zone Valves

Options
2»

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,531
    Options
    Thanks, @Troubleshooter. I'm glad I was able to help you. And I have written short stories and also four novels. They're all in the Store: https://heatinghelp.com/store/
    Retired and loving it.
  • Lordofthering
    Lordofthering Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I am having same issue and I have 14 zones so replacing with circulator pump is pretty big job. Is there any other option i can try ? I have my zone valves on supply side. How about installing Water Hammer Arrester somewhere between Secondary Circulator and Zone valves ? I have weilMclain Ultra 55 high Efficiency Boiler.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Try removing one of the springs on each of the zone valves.
    Retired and loving it.
    Lordofthering
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,159
    Options
    The rule of thumb is more than 4 spring return zone valves on a fixed speed circulator, you should have a pressure activated bypass.
    Here is a graphic that shows how a circulator runs up its curve as valves close off.

The bypass valve just "slips the clutch".

Better yet a properly sized, and setup delta P circulator.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Lordoftheringrcleimbach
  • Lordofthering
    Options
    @hot_rod: Thank you looks like adding differential bypass pressure valve is way to go. I need to add it between supply and return. Where can I buy this valve ? Do you have any example link for this valve ? I cannot seem to find it. Also, I have Taco 007e Variable speed curculator pump on supply side as Primary Circulator and taco 0014 on return side as Boiler Circulator. Do I still need to install bypass Pressure valve ?

@DanHolohan: Thank you for suggestion. Definitely I should try it first but I am not sure how to remove this spring. I have 14 zone valve so it might be big job but I can try on one valve and see how much it helps then try on others. Do you have any video or pictures how to remove spring ? Can I remove any out of two ? I cannot be too hard.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Question. Do you really need that size of pump? Has it been sized for the application? If the pump is oversized, it can cause issues.
    Sounds like you really do need a pressure bypass though.
    Rick
  • Lordofthering
    Options
    @hot_rod: Is TACO 007e variable speed or fixed speed pump ?. If it is not, changing with variable speed or Delta-T Pump in Primary Circulator will resolve issue ?
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    @Lordofthering , I don't have a video or pics of this. Sorry.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Lordofthering
    Options
    @rick in Alaska : To be honest not sure if I really need 007e for primary or not. I have two extra pump one is 007-F5 and 0014-F1. Should I try replacing one of them ?. Which one I should try replacing ? 0014-F1 for boiler circulator came with Boiler so It should be correct size. We installed Primary Circulator(007e) of our choice thinking it provides us light indicator and energy saving.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    The primary loop is the one from the boiler. I somehow thought the 0014 was on the secondary loop. If it came with the boiler, then keep it for the primary loop, as it is already designed for it.
    Rick
  • Lordofthering
    Options
    @DanHolohan: I have mix of Erie (OLD) and Honeywell Zone valves. I have removed spring from 4 of zone valve. Erie has only one big strong spring and no way to remove and if I remove, it will not work. Let's see if this will reduce noise, at least number of time bang will go down. Removing one of the spring from Honeywell zone valve was much easier than i thought. Thank you for your suggestion. Also, I have ordered, 3/4"Honeywell D146M1032 Differential Pressure Overflow . I will install it in summer to avoid any interruption of heat during spring.
  • bhiggins
    bhiggins Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I have the same problem of banging valves. Erie 3 way, one each on hot and chill water loops. I think I may have an Apollo differential pressure regulator down stream of the valve
    ( Normal Closed). When I adjusted that with a stubby screwdriver, I was able to quiet the banging. This has worked on 3 units already. Previously, I replaced these valves when they banged. That is a bear of a job. I can't seem to send pics form my phone.
  • bhiggins
    bhiggins Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok I have done 5 now. Also check the balance valve, it may need adjustment towards closing if the differential pressure regulator won't do the trick.
  • Mike M
    Mike M Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Im servicing my fourth zone valve today that have been in operation for 10 to 15 y3ars now. And have 2 more to go. So far, every valve was in backwards.. one that I checked that wasnt banging was installed on the return line, so its directional flow was correct.. funny thing is, one that was in backwards didnt bang, but we reversed it anyway or it would bang when we left for sure.