Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Grundfos Magna 3 Knocking

I have a big boiler install I did a year or two ago and the customer contacted me today and said the large Grundfos ECM circulator was knocking, so she shut off the heat, and turned it back on a couple of hours later and the noise was gone, and everything was working properly. The boiler pressure is fine, any ideas?

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Any check valves in the system?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating Member Posts: 1,361
    edited May 2017

Yes, this brass in line check valve is near the pump, the customer said the noise was coming from the box on the side of the circulator, I always pump away and use a spirovent air eliminator, air hasn't been a problem on any of my jobs since I started doing that.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 851
    Was there a fault code on the Magna 3?
  • She didn't look before shutting it down.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Does the Magna vary it's flow somehow? Checks sometimes rattle just on low flow conditions.

Checks should size by gpm flow rate not pipe size, but the Cv is in full open position also.

Any flow less than rated has the check in a partial open position. Spring checks are best for hydronics, but can still chatter at very low flow conditions.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Possibly could be harmonic back feed coming from flourescent lights? Grasping for straws here. I do know that harmonic feed back is a major issue with variable speed drives creating "noise" in the electrical circuits. Whooda thunk...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • ScottSecor
    We've installed many Magna series circulators and have not had any noise issues. As a matter of fact they are often very quiet, especially when set to autoadapt. As far as knocking goes, if that boiler is a mod con I would think the noise could be from lack of flow. Are you sure the signal was going to the pump? Most of the time the Magna 3 has constant power and we turn them on and off with the built in relay (typically connected to the boiler or other outdoor reset).

Is there any chance the pump is not set to autoadapt (maybe speed III for example) and all of the zones/Danfoss valves closed since the outdoor temperature is finally warming up?
  • It was set for auto adapt, last time I was there. I'll have the owner check that, lm trying to diagnose it without taking a fifty mile trip into Boston.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    From a mechanical standpoint, it sounds like the check valve. The sound can transmit through the pipes. It sounds as though the flow was just at the point that the valve was shutting off. If it happens again have her vary the flow and if it goes away.....I see a 50 mile trip, in your immediate future.
  • ScottSecor
    Ask the owner if the typically green circle at the top of the display was red, this would indicate an error.