Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

exhaust fan

Options
RJ_4
RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
A relative replaced there electric range with a gas stove, they currently only have the exhaust fan on the upper microwave as a exhaust that exhausts through a filter and back into kitchen, I told them that they need an exhaust fan and hood installed to exhaust to the outside, Is this correct

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• gschallert
    gschallert Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Depends on your local code. Here in NYS outside exhaust is only required if the gas range has an open grill/broiler unit. If it's just the standard burners then no. You also need to look at the appliance itself as some have built in downdraft ventilation built into them.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,751
    Options
    As has been said code varies, however if it was me I'd never consider a stove of any type without a good outdoor vented fan.

I lived in an apartment for 7 years with a poorly outdoor vented exhaust through the microwave and it was awful. Now, I have a 440CFM exhaust hood piped outside and I can even clean my oven without opening windows, it blows 100% of the smoke outside..

Not only that, but with a gas stove it ensures plenty of O2 for the burners and any CO that may be created will be vented.

Please, regardless of code, have a quality outdoor vented exhaust system installed, even through the microwave if need be. The microwave likely offers both options.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Don't forget to consider the impact an exhaust fan may have on the draft of you heater/water heater. You don't want to start pulling products of combustion down the chimney and into your house.

j a_2Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,321
    Options
    Hi, Read this: http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2013/07/23/kitchens-can-produce-hazardous-levels-of-indoor-pollutants/ then you'll want to put in a good hood and exhaust pipe! B)

Yours, Larry
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    Thanks all
    RJ