Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai Flame Failure

Options
Mendel93
Mendel93 Member Posts: 3
Hi everyone,

I have a "flame failure" error code on a Rinnai unit model number RHFE-556FA111-N.

When the unit is turned on everything comes on - as it should be - and it works fine until it reaches the temperature (sometimes even 20 minutes) once the temperature is reached and it tries to ignite for the 2nd time the flame kicks in for 5 seconds and then I have the "flame failure".

I changed every component possible and still have the flame failure.

I changed the gas valve, the flame rod, the electrode, the igniter board, the main pcb board, the upper control board, the transformer.

Anyone with experience on this one??
Thanks all,
Mendel

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    Is it perhaps overheating? Did you check the air filter to make sure it is "breathing" properly? If has an overheat thermistor that could be giving you issues.
    Rick
  • Mendel93
    Options
    > @rick in Alaska said:
    > Is it perhaps overheating? Did you check the air filter to make sure it is "breathing" properly? If has an overheat thermistor that could be giving you issues.
    > Rick

Yes I checked the filter made sure it's clean.
  • Mendel93
    Options
    OK, an update for whoever finds this helpful.

The gas pressure needed to be adjusted. After testing the Water Column / H20 and rising the pressure the unit is working!!
    j a_2
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    depending on the age of the unit, this may be one that has the recall for the burner gasket. If the hx is damaged and or the gasket it could cause issues..specially after a long cycle
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Call Rinnai with your serial number to check on that recall. Rinnai will replace the components and pay for the service call. The 556 production run ended in '08 when the new EX units came out. I would suggest that you take the unit off the wall, at the end of the heating season, take it outside and with and air compressor, blow out the convection blower wheel. I do that on mine every 3 yrs for so. Curved blade fans do load up and you might be surprised at the difference. I tried this in place at my sisters once. It made a hell of a mess. I've been heating my homes with Rinnai Energysavers since '91 and have never seen a unit require all of the parts you threw at yours. Post early and we will try to save you some money. Happy Heating!