Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Time to service pump strainer and tank filter oil system

bink
bink Member Posts: 97
I just had my Buderus serviced this week. I stayed with the tech for most of the time but was away from the basement around 4-5 minutes while the work was in progress after vacuum and re insalling the baffles. I was charged for a tank filter ( general 1a type ) and suntec A pump strainer and gasket. I saw the tech service the strainer gasket last year but I thnk that took a while with sometime for bleeding the air. I never saw the filters serviced or bleeding take place this year . now wondering if filter service was done? I don't think he did this work but want to give him the benefit.

Do you think the filter and stainer on the pump was serviced in a few minutes ?

Comments

• bink
    To add info The burner is a Beckett NX
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    does the filter look like it's been cleaned on the outside? Does it look like the floor has been cleaned or a bucket placed on the ground under it?
  • bink
    The filter has some oil dry on the top there is no oil on the can side or bottom

• Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    edited April 2017
    Ask the technician. Filter looks untouched to me, but it is possible that he was very careful/clean.
  • lchmb
    If that's the original diaper under the filter I would question it as well..I've never been able to open a filter without a few drops hitting the ground...not to say it cant be done, but in 5 minutes.. be hard to do... In the future, use a black marker to draw a line on the cover onto the can.
  • bink
    Thanks for your replies. I am having another different oil company come this week mainly because I was disappointed with the current service anyway. So I will be able to see if the filter was changed. I really hate to believe the tech was dishonest. Anyway thanks again.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I'd be thinking about changing that relic of an oil tank sooner than later. Nary a Firomatic safety in sight.
  • bink
    Bob what are you seeing with the tank. This tank was replaced sometime late 1980's do not have the exact date. Even after the new tank was installed we still had sludge problems. Turned out to water getting the piping outside which an additive and fixing the outside fill piping resolved he problem. Have always been on alert for sludge in the filter.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Water and sludge should be found in the oil filter not the tank, bad pitch of tank
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • bink
    Thanks what should the pitch of the tank be? When water gets in would the bottom of the tank still not have sludge. I really think my problems are gone really have not had a problem for around 15 years. Somebody I worked with gave my something to put in the tank diesel tank additive after the water problem was found and that really seemed to correct the problem.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I'm seeing the handle of a gate valve, not a fusible valve by the filter, and it may be the pic angle but the tank end seam looks post war era. Just something I picked up on.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    When you were away, did the tech leave the basement? If not, then he most likely didn't change anything-if you saw no other signs that he did. I could change both of those in that time, but you would see the old filter, strainer and gaskets, and the trash (bag/box).
    Next time say to the tech something like, "Hey with the problems I had over the years with water and sludge, I'd like to take a look at the filter element and the pump strainer before you toss them to see if I need to put an additive in the fuel".
    -Tanks should be pitched 1/4" per ft towards the drain
    -I don't see an end seam in the pic, the tank looks like the age the OP said (to me).
    -The gate valve is unfortunate, the tech should snug up the packing nut after it's opened back up to bled filter/line.
    -There's also no way I would try to change that filter with that pie pan.
    steve
  • bink
    Bob thank you I was not aware of the fusible valves sounds like good idea. I don't have any information on the tank I know it was installed late 1980's only says tough tank on it. Thanks for posting I keep learning from the members on his forum.
    Bob Bona_4
  • bink
    Thanks Steve. I will follow the advice . Got the help i needed. Thanks to all who commentedz.
  • lchmb
    so your tank is 27 plus years old? Had sludge issues at one point....I'd be thinking replacement. The tank wont rust from the outside in...you cant see the problem coming until it starts dripping.. Cost of a cleanup is far higher than cost of replacement
    Bob Bona_4
  • bink
    i need to start thinking about this may switch to gas which i can get. Thanks for your help and comments.
    Bob Bona_4