Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Propane gas valve leaking gas at the vent

Options
geenyus21
geenyus21 Member Posts: 7
He are having an issue with a propane space heater leaking at the vent on the gas valve. The inlet calls for 11" and that's what we got. We've replaced two gas valves and two heaters. The first one was an empire and the second one is a Williams.
The second reg got replaced and its putting 11" out. The first stage reg on the torpedo tank was a ball of ice this winter. I didn't see it but so I hear. Perhaps the first stage is letting spikes of pressure through. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• geenyus21
    Options
    Also the other space heater in the other garage is leaking as well. Same thing at the furnace.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited April 2017
    Options
    How big of a total load do you have on the house? How do you know you actually have 11" at the unit and not more?

If your pulling enough btu you could cause the first stage to freeze up. Other causes could be liquid in the line (hope not) or moisture building up in the regulator. It could also be your first stage is allowing to much pressure through and it is turning back to liquid in the high pressure line. Have you contacted your supplier for a line test and to resolve the regulator issues? If not I would suggest shutting the tank off and contacting your supplier. Before you replace all of your equipment...
  • geenyus21
    Options
    We sized it when we put the heater in. Since then they added a tankless, bigger furnace. There was two fireplaces, a range and a space heater. It was one inch black iron going in. It should be ok but I actually did not size it after they added the tankless.
    Yes I was getting 11" each time I've checked. There were fluctuations of about .80 inches. The fuel supplier has been there lots apparently I just found out and they have yet to change the first stage reg.

There's gotta be **** it the line. It makes sense what you say about liquid in the line or reg.
  • geenyus21
    Options
    I wanna say the total load now is about 420 000. There are two second stage regs by the way. One reg does half the house the other reg does the other half.
  • geenyus21
    Options
    I appreciate the help. I'll update this when or if we find an answer.