Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Powerpoint for iphone

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
Hi All...
I am looking to do a Career day at a local high school in April. I want to look as professional as possible. I am hoping to do a PowerPoint presentation and am wondering if you guys have used your smartphone to do a presentation... if so what app? What are things to watch out for ?
ty,kcopp

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Kevin - My suggestion would be to scrap the Powerpoint idea. They're probably inundated with Powerpoints every day and if they're like me, will be bored to tears with it. Bring in tangible things that they could put their hands on. Talk to them, engage them, let your passion for the industry show. That's hard to do with a scripted Powerpoint.

I recently was one of the 3 final contractors being considered for a large boiler replacement at a church. They had us go into a room one after another to meet with the church council. I was the last guy to go in and my two competitors both had Powerpoint presentations. As I waited, I thought they would consider me the unprofessional one. Instead, they later told me that the fact that I just talked to them, had a back and forth conversation with them, and showed them some of the things we'd be installing is what convinced them to go with me. Go figure?

Don't leave the human element out of it.
    Steve Minnich
    Gordy
  • kcopp
    The way this works is there are 4 sessions.

Prob 10-15 students each session.

I have 20 minutes each. 15m to present and 5m for questions.

I will try not to make it dry... but I do need some platform to work off as a backdrop.

ty, Steve.

Tinman
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Human nature has a taste for tangible, and engaging learning experiences.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited March 2017
    I'm sure they'll have some sort of projector there. Maybe some pictures of your work, before and after. Your work truck, tools, boiler rooms, manifolds. That would give you a platform for getting things started. I was fairly smart in high school but I LOVED working with my hands. I took every shop class I could just for that reason. My tool collecting started early. Hell, I was buying tools for my dad when I was working two jobs in high school.
    Steve Minnich
    kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    I can run PowerPoint from my I-pad or a PDF from I-books
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    You can make a PowerPoint with pictures of before and after etc. on you PC. You can transfer to a Surface with a memory stick. As a surface has a USB slot, you can hardwire it to a projection screen or use wifi.
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    Well today was the day.
    I ended up ditching the Power point idea and just talked. I also had some show and tell w. some tools.
    The idea of no college debt and having a job that cant be outsourced is key.
    Showed them some pex tubing and connections.
    The Pro-press tool went over quite well.
    Tinman