Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wall Hanger change out

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,693
This yucky unit gave the homeowners fits. We installed the new Bosch with an indirect water heater and moved the venting to another wall of the home (new carport or garage plans). All better now
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Looking good!!
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Embassy Onex. They can be a bit finicky to tune.
    I do not like the concentric vent set up....which I think is most of the issue.
    They put out very good hot water for a combi.
    I have about 12-15 of them in the field. I have had a couple leakers.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Was that an embassy onex?
  • kcopp
    Options
    Or a variation on a Cosmogas unit. Could also be a peerless 160 or a Smith GB 160. Slant/fin even rebadged it....
  • GW
    Options
    HO says it was a Smith. I never paused to verify.

We don't do many of these "slip in' installs but this set up in 7 years old. All the circulators, control wiring, return piping was kept in place. The expansion tank got upsized to a 30. Feed and backflow get moved down low under the boiler. A good one day job
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    kcoppBob Bona_4
  • kcopp
    Options
    Looks good.... It will give them a less troublesome performance. What were the issues?
  • GW
    Options
    He said occasional very loud banging nosies on light off, I wasn't about to try to get into it. He said many people including factory tech came over the years to no avail.

We only touch certain brands of high efficiency boilers
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • kcopp
    Options
    I fully understand the "only touch certain brands" comment. There are so many things to know about each brand and you can only know so much w/o going nuts.
    I believe in the UK you work w/ 1 brand and that's it....but there again they have almost 100% all hydronic there.

I had high promise when the Onex came out but did get a bit frustrated... first w/ the unit (eventually got a lot of understanding) then w/ the supplier as they dropped the entire line... all parts are special order.
  • GW
    Options
    Yes kinda like the Baxi. We installed a few combis then the local vendor dropped the line
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You like the Bosch? FW Webb has been pushing them for a couple of years now. There are several installs around here. I'm still leary of the aluminum HX, even with the lifetime warranty. See any failures, or has their coating alleviated the corrosion issues?

Viessmann and Bosch seem to be the big two residential units with Lochinvar getting more of the commercial.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • GW
    Options
    I did about 140 wall hung Viessmanns. When they had the AFUE glitch a few years back I quite frankly didn't have the zeal in my heart to promote the very fine boiler when it no longer qualified for state utility rebates. I jumped to Bosch. I was told the greenstar hx are more rugged and I simply believe it.

I like the internal pump, PVC option (perhaps a different thread), wall or floor option, combi or just heat option, good price point.

What floated my boat most was the dealer locator, where as Viessmann is anti dealer locator (spoke to top US Viessmann brass many years ago). Just my opinions, may we all work hard and make a good living doing so.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    At this point we are about 40 greenstar units in I believe
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Options
    Any issues with Bosch gas usage. I have put in two combis and both complain of high gas bills. I have put in more heat only with indirects and no complaints.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• GW
    Options
    No, I'd say something else is the problem like turning up the thermostat, hard to say. I'd give the house a 5 minute look see and see if a new heat loss path may have developed. Same household usage as previous winters? There are several variables. What was their previous set up? Everytime I hear this it's never the "system", it's some other factor.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • kcopp
    Options
    Do they have the FW200 control in?
  • GW
    Options
    Yes it's in. It was scary when I first started with the control, but now I can fly through it
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Options
    The main complainer I have does not have the control he chose the 151P. I no longer offer it as a result. Only with the FW200 from here on.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• GW
    Options
    Ok not sure what the issues are. I have one 151 combi out there and it does have the fw200.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    We've gone just about 100% Lochinvar in either wall hung or floor model condensing boilers now that they have the fire tube heat exchanger design across the board. The boys from Tennessee have hit a home run with their current product line as far as I can see. The control is highly adaptable and plain English.
    Reliability is good, extremely well thought out from a service standpoint and I really appreciate the low head loss heat exchanger design. No more screaming 009 or 0011 pumps on the boiler loop.
    In fact in many cases you can pump through the boiler with your system pump and forget the boiler pump altogether. (Just do your homework on the loop head) ...

Viessmann is about non existent here in Michigan anymore although there is a small distributor up on the "gold coast" that moves some product. The distributor for our area of the state doesn't even stock service parts that I can tell. Everything we order has to be ordered by them.
    They made a huge mistake when they got rid of the rep firm that used to handle the whole state for them.
  • GW
    Options
    Viessmann does have a unique modus operandi.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com