Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CI rads to multi zone pex-al-pex - bushings or reducers

Options
Bry_2
Bry_2 Member Posts: 14
I am adapting an black pipe system to a zoned pex al pex system but keeping my CI rads. Does it make a difference if I use iron bushings or reducers to reduce the pipe size from my rads to adapt to my 1/2" pex fittings. If I use SS or brass, do I need dielectric unions between the different metals? Thanks.

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Black iron bushings is the way I go on home run systems to old radiators. And I do not use the dielectrics on them.
    Steve Minnich
    CanuckerBry_2
  • Bry_2
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What is the best source for black iron bushings going from 1-1/2 to 1/2"? I can find them online only from a few suppliers. I imagine most supply shops will have them. Thanks.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Be careful cranking bushings into an old CI radiator. If you get too aggressive you may very well crack the radiator.... ask me how I know this... :s
  • Bry_2
    Options
    Thanks. I usually go with dope and 1 - 1-1/2 turns past finger tight for all my fittings. Hopefully that will continue to serve me well.
  • Boon
    Boon Member Posts: 260
    Options
    You might want to consider sourcing domestic fittings instead of imported.
    DIY'er ... ripped out a perfectly good forced-air furnace and replaced it with hot water & radiators.
    Tinman