Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pigtail syphon

mmc239
mmc239 Member Posts: 81
Hello. I have a steam boiler with a clogged pigtail syphon.in order to take off pigtail to clean it, I would have to remove low water cut off as well. Can I just remove the pressure gauge on top of pigtail and blow the clog into the boiler?

Comments

• mmc239

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    edited March 2017
    You don't need to take it off. Just turn the LWCO enough so that the pigtail clears. And yes.. if you can get something all the way thru the pigtail you can push the crud back into the boiler.
  • mmc239
    Thank You. The LWCO is too close to turn pigtail without removing it. When I remove the gauge, will I be able to blow out pigtail with compressed air? Will the debris damage inside the boiler?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    You can probably disconnect the wiring to the low water cut off and remove it from it's sensor, leaving the sensor well in the boiler.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    You should also remove the pressure control and make sure that 90 elbow and the bottom of the control are clear.
    You would have to unhook the wires and unscrew the entire control......not the screws on the bottom.
    You would not want to hit the control with air pressure.
    Sometimes a long nylon cable tie will go thru the pigtail.

The control would live better if the 90 was gone.
    Turn the tee straight up and add a short nipple IIWM.
  • mmc239
    Is the pressure gauge screws on just hand tight or with wrench. Once it's off, can I use a long plastic ty-wrap to push the obstruction into the boiler?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    There should be flats on the back of the gauge for you to use an adjustable wrench........but you need to back up the Tee with a small pipe wrench or good pliers. You don't want to loosen the tee or pigtail.
    If you had a straight air gun that would go thru the tee into the pigtail then a shot of air might clear the tube after loosening the sludge with the tie wrap. Just don't hit the control with the air.
    If you find a lot of sludge behind the gauge it is probably affecting the control also and should be dealt with.
  • mmc239
    Thank You so much. We are in the middle of a blizzard here in NY, so I will try to get to it tomorrow. I don't want anything to go wrong in this freezing weather.
    JUGHNE
  • mmc239
    I would like to add a nipple with a union to my pigtail for future cleaning purposes. What size and type of pipe should I use with my steam boiler?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    1/4" I prefer brass but black iron is fine.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    It's no trouble to do it right. Loosen the screws holding the LWCO to the sensor. Remove the sensor wire wingnut.Turn it 25 degrees and pull it off. Remove pressuretrol,clean or replace siphon. Check Pressurtrol diaphragm. Reinstall using tephlon tape. 1 hour novice job.