Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Our high school has a foundry

KC_Jones
KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
In his efforts to continually improve the vocational programs at our high school the superintendent has added a foundry to metals program. Very cool stuff. See page 4 in the link.

https://www.hpsd.k12.pa.us/posts/winter-newsletter/attachments/Winter 2017 Newsletter.pdf
2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
Erin Holohan HaskellChrisJLionA29

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,459
    That is awesome! The tech high school I went to in Portland had a foundry in it also. What a great experience. They actually had the Guinness record for the biggest cast iron frying pan at 4 foot in diameter.
    It is amazing that any school is doing anything with trade classes these days. I give the school high marks for putting this in. Hopefully, they get a good response from the kids about it.
    Rick
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Nice! Spent a lot of time with one in high school late 70s. Did some aluminum castings, etc.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
    What is even more amazing, this isn't a tech or vocational school it's just a normal high school offering these programs. Our superintendent is on the ball. He has actually been pulling students back from charter and private schools with his efforts.

In addition this is a relatively small school district (to me). The high school has a little over 400 students.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Wow, that's terrific. Mine was a public high school, rural to suburbs. It had small engines, metal, woodworking, drafting, and electronics curriculums. I lived in shop practically. Someday I should go back to see what became of those spaces.
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 532
    KC_Jones said:

...Our superintendent is on the ball. He has actually been pulling students back from charter and private schools with his efforts...

To those who think public school teachers 'phone it in,' I offer the following quote from W. Edwards Deming:

"The problem is management. It's always management."

I hope your superintendent stays in his job. A long view on the investment he's made might not exist among those who hired (and can fire) him.

BobC
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,064
    Sadly around here they gutted most of the shop programs. Don't know where the replacements are coming from