Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One-pipe steam rad?

who can tell me the proper installation recommendation of a typical residential one-pipe steam radiator, i.e. is the rad "required" to be slightly pitched back toward the valve OR will it function normally if level? Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It should be installed with a slight pitch back towards the supply valve to let condensate drain back. A 1/4" pitch is usually enough. The run-out pipe from the main should also be pitched for the same reason. It should have a bit more pitch. Valve should always be open, never partially closed. Even if fully closed, it will likely allow a little steam into the radiator but will prevent the condensate from draining.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,099
    Over agree with Fred, and technically he's correct.
    However many of my radiators have no pitch and a few are pitched in the wrong direction. Most are also bushed down from 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" or even 1".

None of them complain. I believe it depends on the size of the radiator, operating pressure and how fast you vent the radiator. As long as water doesn't impede the inflow of steam, it'll never have an issue.

The valve issue does seem to be a big concern though. You need a proper large valve designed for a steam radiator and it must be wide open.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment