Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What kind of radiator / heating unit is this? Can it be smaller?

msconce Member Posts: 2
I'm renting in a home from the 1890s and the heating unit in my room is bizarre. It's not a cast iron radiator, but two pipes come up from the floor into it and then there's a metal cover about 2 feet by 3 feet with vents on the top directing the heat upwards I guess. The pipes get hot to the touch. On the side of the cover is an old Braukmann valve with numbers 1 through 5 I guess to control how much heat you get.

I'd like to be able to shrink this thing so I can have most of my wall back. I was thinking that perhaps I could just make a new cover. What kind of heater is this thing? Can it just be replaced? Attached are some pictures. I placed the camera under it where the pipes enter.


  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,904
    That's called a convector. You can't shrink it. And if you replace it with a smaller one, you'll be cold.
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Towson, MD, USA
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service
  • msconce
    msconce Member Posts: 2
    I understand. I can't even get a smaller / shorter cover?
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,865
    You could replace it with fin tube base board but it's gonna take up a lot more wall space down by floor to put out the BTU'S that the convector is giving you. It's also probably a mono flo system and will need a vent.
    Paint it, draw on it, put stickers on it, but leave it.
    Never mind, don't paint it. I hate getting the knife out to get the covers off.