Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Boiler V8 Series

Options
Back in 2006, I had designs to replace my undersized Peerless boiler with a larger, more steam producing boiler based upon EDR measurements of installed radiators. At that time, I purchased a Burnham V86 steam boiler that has sat in my basement since then. With oil at a manageable price, I've become more energized to 'fix' the supply piping, install better vents (radiators and mains), and was looking forward to installing that boiler. I now understand that Burnham has had a really rather poor record of boiler construction (cracked sections/leaking/'push tube' issues) with the V7 and V8 series of boilers.

My question for the group is should I even attempt to have the boiler installed?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,711
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you paid for the boiler I would use it.
    I highly recommend a good water treatment, it could give the boiler a reasonably long life. Rhomar can likely advise.

Our house had a rotted V83 in it when we bought it, the block was only 5 years old and had been replaced once before, the previous one only lasting 3 years.

But our water isn't the greatest and the system had a ton of leaks.

Keep your water usage down, use good treatment and you'll probably get your money out of it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment