Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SCHUTZ installation manual needed (or two questions answered)

Tomato
Tomato Member Posts: 21
edited February 2017 in Oil Heating
QUESTION 1. Does anyone remember the directions for attaching the fittings to the top of the 1000L tank?

The only manual I found on line is for the ROTH which says:
"All connections to the Roth EcoDWT plus 3 use a flat rubber #3 gasket to seal against the tank opening and to ensure the connection is odor free. The various fittings are secured to the tank with a large black plastic cap nut. Once installed, 18 ft-lb of torque applied to the cap nut seals the connection; hand tightening is the acceptable equivalent of this. The connections to the tank are designed to seal against atmospheric pressure only and not the higher fluid or pumping pressures. It can not be considered an oil tight connection. In the event the tank is overfilled, the connection may allow oil to seep onto the top of the tank."

QUESTION 2. Do you know if the instructions are the same? It looks like finger tight on the plastic fittings. I think that someone here said that they are not intended to be oil tight under pressure.

Friday, I saw two connected SCHUTZ tanks where the suction line fittings completely popped out after a filling, and the vent fittings were way loose, the only thing holding them in was the vent pipe. When I put the fittings back together both the vent and suction fittings' threads just slipped past each other. All the way! No twisting necessary.

They were installed around ten years ago.

I just don't understand why the threads would pass each other. It didn't look like the plastic threads were stripped, and the fittings were not obliviously split.

The delivery driver said he had not noticed anything unusual about this delivery. He had delivered to this house several times. There was no oil on the ground or in the vertical vent pipe. There were a few ounces in the horizontal vent pipe between the tanks.

None of the threads on the black metal threaded pipe were more than hand tight. Some of the joints had pipe sealant, but some did not. (I know it sounds like a homeowner job, but the homeowner is >80 years old and she is not particularly mechanically inclined :) ) The pipes had no tool marks on them, but were properly threaded to just the right lengths (though there were some curly cuttings left loose inside the vent pipe).

Comments