Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Who still uses Beepers

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,691
I switch off our beeper with one tech weekly. I like the beeper becasue it's loud and audible. My cell phone-- that's sometimes low volume or on silent, I don't really want to think about it. We don't get many calls at night (heavy screening, only certain customers are eligible), but when we do get a call i need to hear the stupid beeping and chirping.

Anyone else dropped the old fashioned beeper?

Are there apps that turn your cell into a beeper?

Please share your methods.

Thanks, Gary
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I didn't know they still made beepers. I long for the days where I could sleep so deep a phone couldn't wake me up.
    Turn the volume up, get a load ring tone.
    So what are you asking...if you turn your volume down or put it on silent, is there an app that would make it loud? How would the app know when you really want it on silent, and when you want it to 'wake you up'?
    steve
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    I am inclined to think that an app would recognize programmed phone numbers, like your answering service.

You're right- if i drop the old beeper and go just cell, I will need to turn up the volume. I'm just wanting to have any one jack or jill calling my phone at all hours.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Google Voice. You can program numbers that are allowed to ring thru based on time of the day. Others are routed to voice mail.
    GWTinmanErin Holohan Haskell
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Another idea, and if you're like me it's probably too late, would be to get a basic second 'on call' phone, that you can pass around to whoever is on call.
    Google voice sounds interesting, except for the programming numbers parts.
    steve
    GW
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I stopped using a beeper the day after cell phones came out.
    Steve Minnich
    kcopp
  • On an iPhone, there is a do not disturb mode, (identified by a crescent symbol), which will only ring for numbers from your favorites list, which would contain those numbers belonging to your select group of customers. Any other number must call twice in quick succession to get through, instead of going straight to voicemail.
    Presumably, other phones will have a similar feature.--NBC
    icy78