Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler runs dry in a day?

have an old arcoliner oil/steam - had been running fine - installed new big mouth a month ago seems like it improved things -

now i fill boiler, day later its empty - gauge float has no water in it - doesnt look like leakage on floor? checked to make sure all the steam vents are all installed? real head scratcher? dont want to keep filling it - and run risk of problem if there is one ...

any thoughts?

have any good central/south jersey steam pro recommendations?

Comments

• Frelee
    Frelee Member Posts: 6
    I had this problem a few months ago. It started with refilling the boiler after every couple of hours, then every 15 minutes, then literally every 3 minutes. Water would completely drain out of the sight glass. Checked radiators for pools of water, nothing. Turns out my return pipes developed a leak behind a wall, and it drained into my foundation. It explained why I didn't see any puddles anywhere. My suggestion, listen for leaks or pick up a moisture meter and start searching.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Are any of your wet returns under the basement floor? If so, they are probably leaking under the floor.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    Wet returns as @Fred mentioned are the first thing to check for. If not the returns, shut the boiler off and when it is cool overfill it with water to the top of the boiler and look for leaks. Drain it down to normal before restarting