Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sight Glass Slowly Refills

Options
Frelee
Frelee Member Posts: 6
edited February 2017 in Strictly Steam
Hi all,

Starting about a month ago, the water level in the sight glass on my steam boiler has been slowly creeping upwards. About an inch every few days or so. I would drain it down via the valve at the bottom of the boiler to an acceptable level and after a few days, it would creep back up. Since the water is draining, I'm assuming that there's no blockages in the glass.

Even though the auto-feeder has not been kicking in, I've tried shutting off the valve to that pipe to test for a leak. That wasn't it. It leaves the only possible culprit to be the manual feeder is slowly leaking water. Am I correct or is there a possible third source of water?

Also, the water level is about 60% of the glass. After recently draining the system to replace a leaky return pipe, 1/2 the water in sight glass is brown. Should it not settle down or clear out as I'm draining down the water level?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Does your boiler have an insert coil that heats your domestic water for showers, etc?
  • Frelee
    Options
    No it does not, I have a separate boiler to heat water for showers and faucets.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Can you post pictures of your boiler to show the feeder and all valves involved for it?
  • Frelee
    Options
    Ok, will do it tonight. Thank you.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    One of those two valves leaks and, if you have closed the feed to the auto water feeder and it still fills, it is most likely the bypass Manual feed) valve. Is it a ball valve or some other type of shut-off? It could have some crud built up in the seat that prevents the valve from completely seating.
  • Frelee
    Options
    I believe the manual feeder is a ball valve with a lever handle. Will post a picture of that tonight as well.
  • Frelee
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sorry for the delay posting pictures. Any one seeing these side ways?

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    One of your valves is leaking by. See if the pipe to the auto feeder feels colder that the one feeding the boiler. The ball valves are less likely to leak by than the stop valve but the ball valve in this instance seems more likely unless the auto feeder is also leaking by
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Based on these pictures, I see only the bypass valve is a ball valve. I would say the valve that feeds the water feeder is leaking and the solenoid valve in the water feeder isn't fully seating either.