Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam system condensate capacity.

Options
Does anyone know the formula for testing condensate capacity in a steam system. I work with various systems each with a different capacity but I would love to fill a 3 gallon bucket in a set time and measure the condensate saturation so I can recommend the right size trap for the system.

Comments

• MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    There has to be some edr to steam ratio, depending on the edr attached.

This said, I've read in some old book somewhere, traps are sized to the size of main piping. Main is again, sized to the edr load. So, for systems with returns to up to 2.5", I am certain one Hoffman 56-like FT (1") is fine. You can pipe in an extra thermostatic trap (like old warren webster 784 - also 1") on a branch with/ in front of FT to handle any extra condensate if worried about it. Once it's flooded with condensate, T trap will also open to let the condensate through.
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    The above being said, if you can pipe a p trap like piping, with a pet cock drain at the bottom for draining/servicing, no needs for traps.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Steam main drip traps are sized by calculating the WEIGHT of the pipe and fittings used to pipe the main. Radiation capacity (EDR) is used to size traps for the radiation.

Keep in mind that traps are usually sized with a safety factor (at least 1.5, and usually not more than 3.0) so sizing isn't super critical.