Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's Your Go To RPP Boiler Backflow Prevention Valve?

Options
BigRob
BigRob Member Posts: 322
edited February 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
My Watts 009 is killing me. It always has something wrong with it.

What is considered the best RPP backflow valve for boiler fill applications?

Comments

• Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    Options
    If you just have water then a Watts 9D (or any DCAP - Dual Check w/ Atmospheric Port - is acceptable, personally I like the Caleffi combo's) If you have additives then the RP still is required.

Why is it that the 009 is killing you? Is it dumping or dripping what from the relief? If it's just drilling they it can be caused by large pressure changes such as water hammer. Or it is possible that in internals may have been damaged during the original installation and you're suffering from it.
  • BigRob
    Options
    In SF I need to have it inspected every year. Last year it needed parts, then as I topped off the hydronic system after a mag filter flush, the vent just started dumping, so I isolated it and replaced all the rubber, still leaking a little. Techs came to do the yearly inspection and they broke a plastic check cage. They didn't have the special tool or patience. I don't like the design of the 009.

Optimally, I want metal check valve cages and much easier disassembly requiring no special tools.

I love Caleffi, too, but I didn't see them on the USC cross connect list and SF needs that. Also, I don't think they make a RPP unit?

What about the Apollo/Conbraco or Febco units?
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    Options
    There's no special tools for 009 at least not up to 2.5" and I'm not even certain larger ones have tools either. Watts owns the market here and I'd say on domestic water close to 100% of the backflows I test are 009's or 909's. Testing is in its infancy here so I probably have close to 100 tests completed. Sprinklers are almost always wilkins pretty much. When in school we had lots of variety. But I'd say I liked the Wilkins/zurn and Watts the most for opening up and working on them. Honestly I've had less than 10 devices I couldn't repair with just simple cleaning and reassembly. I'm pretty surprised that a backflow that sees almost no flow could need that much repair.

For comparison I have never even had to open up a backlfow on a sprinkler system (also no flow, closed loop). So I am not sure what's reeking havoc on yours.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,137
    Options
    Later this year we will have a RPP style, some nice features. We offer it in other markets, so it needs to go through listings first.

We also introduced a really nice PRV, unique design better performance. Thanks for the mention.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • BigRob
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hey HotRod, don't forget to get it on the USC Cross connect approved device list. I need that for the great nanny state of San Francisco.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,137
    Options
    ASSE 1013 plus any low lead certs. Time and $$.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • BigRob
    Options
    I think a lot of cities in CA use the USC cross connect list. Put it on the list! : )