Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy Steam Pipes

Options
BostonPaul
BostonPaul Member Posts: 9
edited February 2017 in Strictly Steam
Hi all,
Like a lot of posts I have a noisy steam system! It's a single pipe system in a multi unit condo building. I'm on the first floor and I have a noisy radiator in one bedroom and a noisy supply pipe leading to the unit above in my other bedroom. The same noisy pipe come through the unit above me and to the top floor. The person above me has noise coming from the same pipe but the top floor unit has not complained of any noise. From looking at the piping in the basement both areas seem to feed off the same main pipe. I can hear the clanging a tiny bit down in the basement too. The pipes down there are mostly insulated but not completely. I had a plumber come by and do the usual check the radiator levels and make sure the supply valves are open but then he said steam is just noisy and there's nothing you can do about it. I think we know better! :smile:

I looked at the water in the boiler and it doesn't seem to jump around while the boiler is firing. Water looks clear too. Video of that here: https://youtu.be/9SUbOKXlHig

Here is a video of the sound of my pipe: https://youtu.be/qw-IEhUa2SE

I think the psi on the boiler is ok. I'll attach a pic of the vaporstat. There's also a pressuretrol but I was told that's a backup to the vaporstat.

Lastly there's an air vent on this piping and it's hissing a lot when the boiler is on. I assumed that was normal but from reading other posts here it sounds like it might not be?

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Check to make sure the pigtail (looped pipe the Vaporstat is mounted on) is not clogged and letting the pressure build higher than it should.
    The noise sounds more like the disc inside a radiator valve flopping around. I would have the radiator valves checked. It just takes one vale and the noise will radiate through the steam riser to other rads on that riser.
    And No, steam systems are not noisy.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    What size vents are on the radiators on that riser?
  • Fred
    Options
    And on that riser? I missed that part when I initially read your post. A small vent on that riser will hiss pushing all the air out of the riser but a larger vent may deliver steam to those radiators faster (and longer per heating cycle) Are those rooms comfortable now? Will you be unhappy if they get warmer?
  • BostonPaul
    BostonPaul Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Not sure on how to determine the size. We have three radiators on that riser. Two bedrooms with thermostatic vents (pic of one attached) and a bathroom radiator with a regular vent with the numbers on it. (pic attached)

The people above us just have regular vents, not adjustable at all.

On the riser it looks about the size of a beer can maybe? It's goes through some storage units we have in the basement and it's hard to get to.

The rooms are ok now. The thermostatic vents seem to keep the rooms at a good temperature.

Is there a way to test the valves to see for sure if they are causing the problem? If they are off then we shouldn't have noise correct?
  • Fred
    Options
    If the riser has a vent on it, the vent should be at/near the top of the riser. If it's in the basement, it sounds like it is just on the end of a main? Typical main vent? some pictures of that vent/piping would help but I still think the noise you hear is a loose disc inside one of those radiators supply valves (not the vents but the valve on the pipe that feeds steam into the radiator)
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    I'm including a link for your earlier post:
    http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/158017/sounds-like-pebbles-in-my-pipe#latest
    Post some pictures of your steam piping on the boiler. If it is improper, then a lot of water can be thrown up into the mains, leading to banging as it collides with the steam.
    A good low pressure gauge, (0-3 psi) would enable you to see what pressure you are really attaining, and whether your main venting was adequately generous.--NBC